Honored Contributor

Re: Do you sleep with a fan on or some other kind of "white" noise?

@Noel7 wrote:

We always sleep with the window open except when it rains.  

When I was in the hospital for a week in June, I couldn't sleep and kept the TV on low all night, less lonely that way.  It helped so much I just kept doing it at home, DH can sleep through anything.

I did that in the hospital but the nurses kept chastising me like I was a five-year-old.  😕

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

When I was in the hospital for a week in June, I couldn't sleep and kept the TV on low all night, less lonely that way.  It helped so much I just kept doing it at home, DH can sleep through anything.

I did that in the hospital but the nurses kept chastising me like I was a five-year-old.  😕

@tansy

It sounds like you had nurses who've never actually been a patient in a hospital.  Smiley Frustrated

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

That's terrible! 😟  Sleep is so important to any recovery, they should have encouraged you with whatever you needed.  I'm sorry you had to go through that @tansy

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

When I was in the ICU for an extended period a few years ago ... I kept Westerns on overnight. They didnt stop me from the practice, but one made a comment about my having seen every western ever made because I did keep them on.  Another couldn't understand why it worked. They helped me fall asleep, and when I  was awakened frequently, they lulled me back. The gunfire and western soundtracks just have that effect on me. Real gunfire would not do the same. Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

When I was in the ICU for an extended period a few years ago ... I kept Westerns on overnight. They didnt stop me from the practice, but one made a comment about my having seen every western ever made because I did keep them on.  Another couldn't understand why it worked. They helped me fall asleep, and when I  was awakened frequently, they lulled me back. The gunfire and western soundtracks just have that effect on me. Real gunfire would not do the same. Woman Tongue

Whatever works for you, that's what I say @skuggles  😊

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I have slept with a white noise machine for over 30 years.  I also use the ceiling fan year round in addition to the sleep machine.  Luckily, husband likes them too although he prefers the TV on a sleep timer with the volumne set low.  So, many nights all three are going.

I cannot sleep without my machines.  I have a small Marsona that goes everywhere I go to provide that white noise.  It has other settings but I can't sleep with birds chirping or waterfalls, or beach sounds or wind chimes or anything bedsides white noise.

@Bridgegal I use a Marpac Zohne I bought at BBB that gets very loud if you need it to. I don't often need the loudness now, but did when I was in noisy apartments. My first one like 35-40 years ago was a Dohm model but they were never very loud. The cheap(er) Homedics machines get loud enough and last a long time for the price, too.

I too want just the white noise for sleep.

For those who don't know if they'd want to buy a machine, both the Apple App store and the Android store have apps for free or a few dollars that serve the same function if you leave your phone plugged in. Search for white noise or relaxation.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

I have a window air conditioner in summer and can't wait until the weather is cooler and I don't need it.  It doesn't interfere with my sleep, but I prefer the quiet.  My sister-in-law uses a box fan on high every single day of the year, as do her four children.  They all say they can't sleep without a fan.  When her first grandchildren (twins) were born, she ran out and bought them fans.  When I asked her why, she replied that they needed them to sleep better.  They were infants, all they do is sleep, lol.  I love them, but I think they are all nuts, lol.  Oh, and they all need blackout curtains and sleep masks.  I guess I am lucky that I don't have to work so hard for a good night's sleep.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

If noise bothers you - you could never live in Manhattan.  Fortunately, I can control the noise.

One of the "joys" of wearing hearing aids - I have peace and quiet when I take them out.  

@ALRATIBA  I live in the northern suberbs of Chicago now,  and when I go back to NY and stay with my sister, who lives in the city,  it makes me smile to hear all the noises at night.....   the sound of garbage being collected at 3AM...   crashing glass from the recycle trucks at 4AM, sirens, etc.   I LOVE IT!   All the sounds of home!

Honored Contributor

I sleep with a small fan on the floor aimed at me.  Not for the noise but apparently I'm at that age.  LOL