Respected Contributor

Re: Do you really think overweight people want to be shamed about it?

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

If shame really and truly worked, every overweight person, including myself, would be thin already. 

But you can't say that shame doesn't work for some. Maybe not for most, but for some. 

Just like solutions for any other type of problem. Everyone has their own motivation. One size does not fit all. (pun intended)

Honored Contributor

There are study after studies showing that shame does not help with weight loss but usually has the opposite effect.  There are numerous references online.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

There are study after studies showing that shame does not help with weight loss but usually has the opposite effect.  There are numerous references online.

I don't know if you're responding to my post....

I agree it usually has the opposite effect.  I do believe, however, that it may work for some.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

If shame really and truly worked, every overweight person, including myself, would be thin already. 

But you can't say that shame doesn't work for some. Maybe not for most, but for some. 

Just like solutions for any other type of problem. Everyone has their own motivation. One size does not fit all. (pun intended)

When you only have 5-6 lbs to lose, or perhaps don’t even need to lose, just maintain, your reaction to shaming might be different than if you were 50-60 lbs over ideal weight. A 5-6 lb weight loss or maintaining is a whole different ballgame than needing to lose 30+ pounds on up.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

I agree and from the clip I saw it sounded like what she was really talking about was keeping her accountable, not some horribly abusive father calling her derogatory names. She asked him to do it and maybe between the two of them it was nothing more than lighthearted joking banter that produced a positive outcome as it did work in her case. Why people are acting like she advocated fat shaming the world makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

I have been on both sides of the weight issue. A fat kid and(what some people see as) skinny(asked if I have been sick). The incident I will always remember was as a freshman in an English class. The female teacher asked me a question, we had to stand when called on. After I gave my reply she said this: "You would be a cute guy if you weren't so fat".

Not something one likes to remember, but on the positive side, it gave me more inspiration to become a "normal weight(?)", Sophomore. The only one to tell me after that I "was fat", was me. Call it "shame" or you can call my case "motivation", I see both sides of it me personally speaking.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@cherry

I have been on both sides of the weight issue. A fat kid and(what some people see as) skinny(asked if I have been sick). The incident I will always remember was as a freshman in an English class. The female teacher asked me a question, we had to stand when called on. After I gave my reply she said this: "You would be a cute guy if you weren't so fat".

Not something one likes to remember, but on the positive side, it gave me more inspiration to become a "normal weight(?)", Sophomore. The only one to tell me after that I "was fat", was me. Call it "shame" or you can call my case "motivation", I see both sides of it me personally speaking.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut.....I think what that teacher said was egregious and I think it had a lot more impact than you are aware......not necesarily positive either. You have often posted about being overweight in your youth and I sense a sadness about the entire experience. Sure, you think the experience motivated you but I would bet the farm that you would have lost the weight anyway. You seem like a very social person and love being active. Your teacher's harsh words were probably completely unnecessary to your successful weight loss.

I am a very firm believer that negative re-inforcement helps to destroy a person's self esteem.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

This is why she was being interviewed.

First you have to recognize there’s a problem.

Second you have to find your ‘Why’.

I don’t see anyone shaming anyone else.

But I know some people will see/hear what they want to see/hear.

14095981-FB3B-44C3-91A4-11C062DB3209.jpeg

All this is is a self-promoting narcissist's photo who only cares about showing off her body. She has little to no interest in anyone else's health. She has no idea what struggles people go through to be slender. Ignorance prevails.

That’s correct.  Her focus is encouragement, not interest.

It’s...

encouraging YOU,

encouraging ME,

encouraging ALL OF US

to be interested in our own, personal health.  

I’m stunned after 5+yrs from her original viral picture, people still.don’t.get.it.  I love her passion...and yes, she does have an idea what struggles people go through...she’s been & continues to go through it.  And she shares that.

The internet is filled with encouragement-what’s-your-excuse type of posts...and the interweb doesn’t get its feathers ruffled when they say the same thing...and yes, these pics are mostly men. Just because she’s an attractive woman, people spin this so far out of control.  Jealousy shows up in the weirdest ways & it’s an emotion only the reader controls.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

This is why she was being interviewed.

First you have to recognize there’s a problem.

Second you have to find your ‘Why’.

I don’t see anyone shaming anyone else.

But I know some people will see/hear what they want to see/hear.

14095981-FB3B-44C3-91A4-11C062DB3209.jpeg

All this is is a self-promoting narcissist's photo who only cares about showing off her body. She has little to no interest in anyone else's health. She has no idea what struggles people go through to be slender. Ignorance prevails.

That’s correct.  Her focus is encouragement, not interest.

It’s...

encouraging YOU,

encouraging ME,

encouraging ALL OF US

to be interested in our own, personal health.  

I’m stunned after 5+yrs from her original viral picture, people still.don’t.get.it.  I love her passion...and yes, she does have an idea what struggles people go through...she’s been & continues to go through it.  And she shares that.

The internet is filled with encouragement-what’s-your-excuse type of posts...and the interweb doesn’t get its feathers ruffled when they say the same thing...and yes, these pics are mostly men. Just because she’s an attractive woman, people spin this so far out of control.  Jealousy shows up in the weirdest ways & it’s an emotion only the reader controls.

@sidsmom......Ah how long would it take for the Jealousy card to be pulled out???????

This woman is a narcissist having absolutely no interest in helping anyone with anything. You have no idea what the posters here look like. When I was in my 20's, 30's and 40's, I could have worn a string bikini and looked fabulous in it. The difference is, I have no interest in showing off my Assets and chiding people who don't live up to a Standard of Beauty that diminishes other women just because they are not a particular weight.

The internet is full of self proclaimed experts who have absolutely no interest in Science to back their theories. Anyone can say anything on the internet regarding health. It means nothing.

Respected Contributor

How could Kelly, or any one person know what millions of others want or need, what presumption!