Honored Contributor

Re: Do you really think overweight people want to be shamed about it?

One can be knowledgeable and compassionate yet still believe that weight loss achieved in a healthful manner is a positive.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@CareBears, the way I look at it - when I know that someone’s intent is to hurt me, anger me, bait me, fool me, etc. it becomes easy for me to ignore them. If anyone is putting out actual effort to do this, it makes me smile that they are that desperate for/interested in making me feel somehow unworthy. Clearly anyone who does this has self-esteem issues and envies you in some way, so is trying to bring you down - but very clumsily/

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My mother had a best friend since they were 18.  Over the years, her friend gained weight.  Her doctor chastised her for years, weighing her every appointment and berating her because she couldn’t “control herself”.

So she stopped going to her doctor for a long time.  But then she got sicker and sicker.  By the time my mom talked her into seeing a doctor, her friend was diagnosed with stage four cancer.  My mom loved her, I loved her, she was like an Aunt to me.  

The cancer didn’t kill her, the fat-shaming doctor killed her.

She wasn’t alone.  A lot of overweight women just stop going to doctors when they feel shamed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Being fat ( over 100 pounds overweight) and had many friends large as well I am telling you all for a fact that shaming a person over weight makes things worse. You can not scare a person into weight loss.  When you insult us  it makes us want to eat even more.

Best way to help an overweight friend  is to encourage  healthy eating  without being judgey. If you are a total stranger do not talk about the persons weight. Do not give unsolicited advice  even if you have good intentions

Also remember no matter you weight  we are people that deserve respect  too.  Also being fat does not mean you over eat  it just means you over ate at one point. Many like me eat  less as a normal sized person and can not drop the weight. It is because of our metabolism and the body  fights to keep the weight.  There is a good article on this on CNN do not remember what its called tho

Also sometimes a compliment is not a compliment. A girl  at work said I look as if I lost weight whe I actually gained a lot.  I was motified.  I do not like being forced into this converstion with someone that is not my friend.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

My mother had a best friend since they were 18.  Over the years, her friend gained weight.  Her doctor chastised her for years, weighing her every appointment and berating her because she couldn’t “control herself”.

So she stopped going to her doctor for a long time.  But then she got sicker and sicker.  By the time my mom talked her into seeing a doctor, her friend was diagnosed with stage four cancer.  My mom loved her, I loved her, she was like an Aunt to me.  

She wasn’t alone.  A lot of overweight women just stop going to doctors when they feel shamed.

I have the same issue.  I stopped going to a doctor  because of fat shaming. I finally had to go an dI found a doctor that was polite about it but I stopped going for I have not been able to loose the weight as directed

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I have the same issue.  I stopped going to a doctor  because of fat shaming. I finally had to go an dI found a doctor that was polite about it but I stopped going for I have not been able to loose the weight as directed

@kcladyz

Please don’t let that stop you.  I understand your hesitancy.  There must be a more aware physician nearby.  Ask around, ask the nurses in the hospital you are affiliated with.  You are important to people, you matter and your health matters.  I hope you find someone intelligent enough to know better.

Best wishes to you!  You have nothing to be ashamed about. 

QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting...