Super Contributor

I have never used and will never use self check-out.  It...

I have never used and will never use self check-out.  It is a system implemented with one objective -- increase profit margin by having customers and machines do the work of checkers so fewer checkers will be needed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you like, or use the self-checkouts at the stores?

@shoesnbags , thanks, I'll look and see.

Respected Contributor

@peachesncream  I was just going to say the same thing about produce. I dislike looking up the item,weighing it and then if regular or organic. It is rare I don't have something to be weighed.

If I have only a few items and the lines are busy ,especially in the summer  where I reside, I will use it. 

Frequent Contributor

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Honored Contributor

Rarely but the self-checkout stations at Costco work well and we used one at Costco this morning.  Oftentimes the employee scans the items in the cart for us.  On the whole I refuse to use them though for reasons others have stated on this thread.

I do pick up interesting items that are not on my list but that's often a good thing 😊

Honored Contributor

Re: ThRe: I would prefer to use the Scan and Go

@yyladybugyy wrote:

Walmart offers the scan and go only when you buy the plus feature.  It should be open for everyone.  I could scan and bag as I shop and when I am done I pay with my phone and leave.  I wouldn't have to empty cart and bag since it would already be in a bag and packed as I like.   Cold items all in one bag and so on.  I contacted Walmart to complain about paying for this featue.  Our Walmart makes us bag our items if we go to a cashier with our bags.

@yyladybugyy , my local WM doesn't offer this but our Meijer store does.  I don't really understand it and have never taken the time to really figure it out.  

Respected Contributor

I rarely use self-checkout. I would rather people have jobs even if I pay a little more in the long run. I have not been trained to do the job, don't know how to handle produce and generally inept as a checker.

Super Contributor

I don't use them.  I am not an employee of any store, so I'm not getting paid to check out. The stores could give someone a job doing this.  Also, something always goes wrong, so why should I hold up a line or be embarrassed by calling an attendant!  No way!

Honored Contributor

Walmart is the only store in my town that has self checkouts.  I use them most of the time now.  Because I'm normally so exhausted by the time I get done shopping that I want to get out of there as fast as possible, and the self checkouts normally have the shortest lines.  

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi     I did not know people worry about what other people are thinking about what is in a cart?  Who has time for that when shopping.  I think you are over worrying.... what in the heck are you buying that someone would be judging you for having in your cart?  I mean, TP paper is really rather embarressing, but I see people with it in their carts all the time.... no one is judging you for what is in your cart.

Well, some of us are just more sensitive about that kind of thing. Some take it more in stride; you're lucky you do. Still, buying...feminine things...I like to be a little more private about it. I know nobody cares but I do.