Honored Contributor

Re: Do you like, or use the self-checkouts at the stores?

In these times, I don't think it's a bad idea, if you are going to do your own grocery shopping, to check yourself out.  Less exposure for you and the checker.

We know that these people have been employed throughout this epidemic.  Supermarkets are hiring like crazy.  They need extra people to keep shelves stocked, wipe down carts or even just hand out wipes in some stores, employees stand with *clickers* keeping track of how many people are in the store.

But I do get it about loss of jobs.  I look at malls--dead empty spaces, empty parking lots, long before the epidemic because most everyone wants to shop online and *not deal with stores, traffic, screaming kids, etc., etc.*

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

In these times, I don't think it's a bad idea, if you are going to do your own grocery shopping, to check yourself out.  Less exposure for you and the checker.

We know that these people have been employed throughout this epidemic.  Supermarkets are hiring like crazy.  They need extra people to keep shelves stocked, wipe down carts or even just hand out wipes in some stores, employees stand with *clickers* keeping track of how many people are in the store.

But I do get it about loss of jobs.  I look at malls--dead empty spaces, empty parking lots, long before the epidemic because most everyone wants to shop online and *not deal with stores, traffic, screaming kids, etc., etc.*

@Lucky Charm 

The irony is not lost on me.😄 The same people who won't scan their own groceries because they think they are taking jobs away from people are probably prolific Amazon and QVC purchasers. You know, the big warehouses that use robots to pull products.  And, I might add, are responsible for the death of our malls.

Super Contributor

@Lucky Charm 

The irony is not lost on me.😄 The same people who won't scan their own groceries because they think they are taking jobs away from people are probably prolific Amazon and QVC purchasers. You know, the big warehouses that use robots to pull products.  And, I might add, are responsible for the death of our malls.

You are painting (incorrectly) with a very broad brush.  No irony here; I don't fit into your scenario.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

I hate self checkouts for several reasons.  My shirt which is long enough for life is not long enough for self checkout!  You can't daydream and remember the forgotten item. 

You are killing someone else's job.

Our Sam's club has gone to self checkout.  It's a shame for the cashiers that used to be there!

Esteemed Contributor

@bluetail fly wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

You are painting (incorrectly) with a very broad brush.  No irony here; I don't fit into your scenario.

@bluetail fly 

You are tagging Lucky Charm when I believe you are directing your comments to me.

If you don't fit the stereotype and are doing your part to keep our brick and mortar retail stores alive, I sincerely thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

When I've been on my feet all day, I don't want to self check out my own groceries, but I don't mind doing it if it's my only outing of the day.  I've gotten to where I like to use the app on my phone to pay when I shop so that I don't have to pull out my wallet. 

I've also gotten to where I just buy what's on my shopping list.  There used to be a time when I would be tempted to add things to the cart, but I don't get tempted like I used to.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

And do you think you can shop and not be tempted as you walk through the store, to buy things you may not need?

@qualitygal 

What??   I don't know why using the self-checkout would affect whether I buy things I may not need.  What has one got to do with the other?   

Super Contributor

Magicmoodz thanks for pointing out I responded to the wrong person.  And aologies to luckycharm.  I haven't yet figured out how to reply to or quote specific posts.

Trusted Contributor

I use them when my daughter is with me, so she can bag and it's goes quicker, other wise I don't.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Super Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

you notice now walmart even has those robots with the banner on them saying "I'm working please don't touch me".  Everything is going automated.

You have  robots??  I never heard about that so I asked my husband and he said he heard they use them for cleaning the floors.  I've never seen that at my Walmart!  Are they tall like a person?  I wonder how they keep the kids from trying to play with them!

Man plans. God laughs.