Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a HOARDING problem?

No, I have very little stuff; never felt like I had to have a lot, just enough.   

However, my daughters are all about having more and more of everything, and that's what is filling the space in this house.   

I'm planning a Face the Reality moment as soon as school is out!

Honored Contributor

No.  At one time jeans.  I got so many, it filled up all my drawers.  But that all stopped by COVID.  Haven't bought any since it began. Nothing else really.  I do have a lot of books and I did buy more when I was home.  Pretty sparse now.

Respected Contributor

My mantra:  You don't need more space.  You need less stuff. 

--Peter Walsh

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The term "hoarder" certainly doesn't pertain to us who purchase things we will use...a "hoarder" as defined by me is someone who "buys & fills their space with unused items to fill a void or a some other issue".

For me -- stock up or sometimes excess things -- yes, but no longer during the shutdown & early stages of pandemic, for sure.

I used to stock my pantry with the good BOGOs each week.  When we started our last remodel I donated (which was a good thing) 6+ bags of pantry staples to our Community food bank.

I am no longer tempted to stockpile things.   Now, I  just think twice before I buy anything home decor which is my weakness -- especially "seasonal" decor.

While searching for my buffet, I saw great deals at local thrift & consignment  stores and enjoyed "looking".  After 3 years, I'm finally opening boxes of things that have been packed away due to lack of storage.  I'm thinking 1/2 of it will be sold or donated to Habitat including beautiful tablecloths, placemats, etc. -- I no longer have large gatherings.

Life changes🤷‍♀️☹️ and Lord knows I've been this past year to so many "estate sales" I know exactly what my kids would be faced with doing...better to get rid of it now than burden them.

I'm happy to see that the "journey" to have just what I'll use/need certainly has adjusted my checkbook balance😉🙂

Esteemed Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@mac116 wrote:

I'm not a hoarder, I just have TOO much stuff!  I've lived in the same house for 42 years, and stuff accumulates.  I've worked on decluttering, but I have a long ways to go.

This is me

and me @SeaMaiden @mac116  

@SeaMaiden @mac116  ME TOO 🙃

Respected Contributor

Benjamin Franklin-A place for everything, everything in its place.

If your hoarding has filled your home to capacity, then you may have a problem.

I could not live in a home full of clutter.

In the last year, I have been buying a lot more paper products. But not in a crazy amount. I think we should always be prepared.

I keep a notebook with what products I have on hand. When it comes to make-up, shampoo etc, the date that they are bought is important to me.

If you have to throw away products that are too old, then you may have a problem.

This is the way I feel but we all have different views of hoarding.

Respected Contributor

I'm not a hoarder but I do have stuff.  Probably more than I need really but I go through closets and cupboards on a regular basis.  I usually start in January after the holidays and spend a good amount of time moving stuff out.  It's not always easy but so worth it to keep things under control.

Now that I am older I don't need as much as I use to think I did.  I don't want a bunch of old stuff laying around.  Appliances never used and things like that.

My sister recently passed away and have the job of cleaning all that.  Having a sale soon.  Opened my eyes big time.  I donated more this year than any other year.  I do not want to have my daughter agonizing over my stuff.

I am glad I have siblings and extended family to help and to take some of the things they wanted.  Interesting to see what was taken and why they liked it.  You can tell a lot about a person by their stuff.  

My sister had an amazing elephant collection.  Those are the hardest to sell.  

My thing is if not going to use or display other than holiday items that get put away then why save.  There are exceptions.  I like things organized and labeled.  I want to be able to find what I need handy.  I did  a lot of that during the pandemic.  I was also glad places I donated to were open again.

This spring is the garages turn again.

Respected Contributor

I don't but DH does. If anything,  I'm a purger and I over-purge sometimes to assuage the anxiety I get from his clutter. 

Trusted Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I'm not a hoarder, I just have TOO much stuff!  I've lived in the same house for 42 years, and stuff accumulates.  I've worked on decluttering, but I have a long ways to go.

Exactly my situation-I have been throwing out for year-every week!

Trusted Contributor

My thing is clothes.  I have a lot of clothing and we have four distinct seasons where I live.  I purge at both the beginning and the end of each season.  That helps.  But I also buy!  As my lifestyle becomes more and more casual, I am keeping fewer dressy jackets, etc.  I am also keeping more plain items and purging the prints (especially in my jackets).  I just need to purge more and buy less.