Respected Contributor

Re: Do you give your significant other holiday gifts and why

No we don't exchange gifts. At this point in life we don't need anything. If I want something I buy it myself as does my husbsnd. i have no desire to ever have a present to unwrap. i would rather give to others. 

Esteemed Contributor

We used to exchange gifts, but there came a time when I found I was returning more of the gifts and getting annoyed at the fact that I would never have worn any of the items purchased. And, yes, I know its the thought that counts, but no I still wouldn't wear them.

At some point we decided to not exchange gifts anymore. If either one of us needed anything during the year, we  purchased it. 

Honored Contributor

Yes we do. No big gifts but just some practical things. His biggest gift from me was yesterday's TSV (Keurig mini) and K-cups. 

Honored Contributor

It depends.   My husband had no experience with buying gifts until we married, and based on my early gifts, he was totally clueless!   After years of returning unwanted and sometimes stupid krap he had waited until Christmas Eve to buy, I realized his MO was to walk in the store and buy whatever was on a big display, (usually the first one inside the door), which is when I insisted he just stop!   

After 45 years, and being at the stage where we need nothing, we often buy big household items and call that our joint gift.   This year we have again decided on a dollar amount and each will buy our own gift.   I bought diamond earrings, and he ordered an accessory for his truck.   

Respected Contributor

My husband and I do not exchange gifts.   If either of us wants something throughout the year we just go out and buy it.    Since we are both a little older, we see no reason to do without something for months just so we can have something under the tree.  

We also would rather spend our money on fixing up our house.   I get much more pleasure out of painting our rooms or buying new furniture than I ever would getting a new piece of jewelry.

This year our Christmas gift to each other is a remodeled bathroom.   

Honored Contributor

I've never been one to really want presents but when it gets to asking what the other wants and spending the same amount on each other it is just ridiculous.  We buy what we want any time we want something so why buy presents.  We stopped when a good friend and coworker's husband had cancer and many at work gave the money they  and their SO's would have spent on  presents to them to help them out.  Now we give the money we would have spent to the southern shelter where we  got our rescue.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I exchanged gifts before we were married and a few years after we married. My husband is the type that really does not want anything and would rather if I  saved the money for something when he needs it. I don't feel that way, but since he wasn't into gifts I just let it go.

Respected Contributor

Well, I try.  Every year it's the same.  He asks me for my list and I hand it over!  When I ask for his, I get the same response every time; " I don't want anything". That doesn't work for me and I always get him something.  Sometimes it's a winner, other times the gift sits unused.  He doesn't want electronics because he has computers and a FLIP PHONE and doesn't want anything else.  He doesn't wear a watch.  He doesn't use after shave lotion or cologne, and when I give clothes they are either returned or never worn. 

So, the answer to the question is.....sort of! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We do not exchange gifts.  If we want something, we'll just go buy it.

We stopped exchanging about 30 years ago.  As long as I feed my DH at holiday time, birthdays, etc. he is happy.  He has a sweet tooth and prefers baked goods to anything I could buy him.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  Absolutely I do!  But not my husband.