Honored Contributor

Re: Do you give your significant other holiday gifts and why

@Sooner wrote:

Yes!  Absolutely I do!  But not my husband.

OK.  I couldn't resist.  It just came out.  The DEVIL made me do it!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Of course my husband and I exchange gifts at Christmas, and on birthdays and Valentine's day. Why woudn't we? Seems strange to me not to give gifts to the person you love. We have been happily married for 38 years and can always find a gift the other will want and appreciate.

Honored Contributor

We have been married for 40 years. So our list of "needs and wants" is small. 

Some years it is hard to come up with ideas. And some years, I have no trouble coming up with several ideas. This happens to be a year that I have come up with several items. 

So he will be surprised and happy (I hope). 

I think it is a nice gesture to exchange gifts. I know I enjoy receiving gifts and am sure other people feel the same way.

Honored Contributor

My S.O. grew up in a JW household.  Gift giving is not something on his mind & uncomfortable for him.

I give him a list of what I want.  I get him what I know he wants and/or he has been eyeing for a long time.

2 yrs ago I treated him w/a 2 week "holiday" cruise.  He is still recovering from the shock of that one. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@cherry  I have always been taught to be charitable I gave 4 different charities 25 each on giving Tuesday, this has nothing to do with the gifts I give my husband and what he gives me

@cherry wrote:

We prefer to select something for the poor  instead. We buy things for ourselves all the time

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes

because his childhood was awful, compared to mine.

he deserves better & I'm detemined to give it to him

Honored Contributor

I understand @I am still oxox  but Christmas is a time in our lives ,when we  put others first..It has nothing to do with what we give at other times. This is part of what we are taught to do...

Respected Contributor

DH has grumbled for years about receiving gifts from our adult children and me.  Last year I finally told him off!  I pointed out that people enjoy giving, so quit complaining and allow people to enjoy themselves.  That stopped the grumbling.  Wish I had told him that years ago! 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

DH has grumbled for years about receiving gifts from our adult children and me.  Last year I finally told him off! 

My father was the exact same way.  My mother did the exact same thing.  Ripped him a good one!  Wish I was a fly on the wall to witness that. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Love it!