Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you carry anything on you for protection?

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s.  Having two strong brass door chains also helps.  We never open the front door without those two door chains in place.

doors can be kicked in and break any door chain.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I have a conceal carry permit, so I carry either a semi-automatic 9mm or a .357 rrevolver  Our sheriff's department prefers we be armed, if legally allowed to do so.  I am well trained.  I always encourage anyone considering a firearm, to get good  training from a qualified instructor before purchasing a weapon and carrying.

If you choose pepper spray, just be careful it doesn't spray back on your face. I have seen cases of that happening.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

Seems a lot of posts are picking one side or the other.

Yes, I carry a device of some kind for protection, or no I don't, but I am very careful/aware of where I am, when, with who etc. 

I totally don't see all people aren't doing both. 

Honored Contributor

Replace the screws in your door with 3-4 inch screws.  The issue with a door being kicked in is that the small screws will not hold the door frame.  It isn't the door that breaks it is the wooden frame which isn't all that thick.

Of course old wooden doors will split and crack open but other doors will withstand those kicks with longer screws.

We watched this on our local news; after replacing the screws a very large man just couldn't get the door to budge.  All for pennies a screw.

The whole purpose of any deterrent is to give you those few seconds to grab your phone and or gun before the perp gets in.

There is also a pole device that wedges under your doorknob and is rubberized to keep it stable on your floor; used for non-carpeted floors.

Again, the point is to give you precious seconds while the perp is trying to kick in that door.

Alarms of course, but if you don't have one these techniques can help tremendously.

Time is of the essence.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Oh, I thought you meant something else.  If I had any in my purse, they'd probably be expired by now.  LoL

I've thought about it and realized that a Mag-Lite flashlight is probably a better weapon than pepper spray, so I keep that in my dominant hand if I'm out walking.

@mistriTsquirrel

Ha ha ha .... I was thinking the same thing and was going to say something like "oh, like the small packet many guys carry in their wallet?"    LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I take on the "kicking in the door":  We built a gate (locked unless I specifically unlock it) on the entrance to our porch.  The gate has stopped most solicitors.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Yes, I carry.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

No but, I have been advised by my neighbors to carry pepper spray.  I walk alone everyday and, although, I do worry about perps, I also worry about stray dogs attacking.  Our neighbor was walking her gentle dog on a leash and was attacked by another unleashed dog while trying to protect her dog.  I have had too many scary experiences walking and unleashed dogs come up and make me feel like I'll be their dinner. 

Respected Contributor

I walk in a local park in the daytime.  I carry my keys with me. There are lots of people around so I feel relatively safe. I also live in a low crime area.

I limit my errands after dark. If I'm out for entertainment purposes I am usually with a group. Just common sense behavior.

I do not own a firearm and never plan to.

Honored Contributor

It may not always be a person to do you harm....it could just be a loose dog.