Honored Contributor

Re: Do you carry anything on you for protection?

No, I don't. Actually, never thought about it. If I walk, it is in town. I don't walk in the woods or places like that by myself. I AM always aware of my surroundings however. I don't live where you can carry firearms around with you.

Honored Contributor

When I walked my dog in the mornings, before sun up, I would carry a big stick and wore a referee type whistle around my neck.  We often saw coyotes, and that scared the heck out of me.  It's why I didn't get another dog when the last one passed away.  

Other than that, no. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

No I don't. I really don't feel the need for it where I live.

I don't think I would have a problem giving a male a good kick between his legs where it counts. 

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@dex wrote:

@chrystaltree My dh told me if possible go for the attackers eyes and if they grab you from behind try to go limp and slide out of their grasp. I would try to gouge their eyes while screaming from fear and disgust.

I read that if you puke on an attacker, he will probably leave you alone after that.

One cannot make themselves vomit at the spur of the moment.

I eat Burger King before I go for walks.

Maybe pass some gas really loud would deter them 🙃

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

I like the idea another poster posted:  A personal sized hairspray.  Heavily scented.  Cap off and ready to spray.  Being very aware and careful also helps.  Don't walk alone in isolated areas and avoid night time walks.   Take off those ear buds so we are able to 'hear' what's happening around or behind us.  (Cars, etc., etc.)

side note on this too.........carry a small sprayer filled with dish soap and water.  You know how soap in the eyes is!!

@qualitygal  Add some bleach to that and it would really sting!

Honored Contributor

I walk in the morning in nearby wild life preserve.  The thing I have always noticed is so many women walk with head phones on.  That I think is dangerous.  You don't hear any one coming up behind you whether in a car, on a bike or a runner.  I think being aware of your surroundings is very important.  

I live in a neighborhood without street lights.  I purchased one of the battery operated motion detectors so that when I drive in the driveway it comes on.  It has proved so handy I am going to get a estimate for a wired one.  

If I am meeting people after dark for dinner in a place I am not comfortable with the parking I valet park my car instead of walking into a dark parking lot or structure.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@dex wrote:

@chrystaltree My dh told me if possible go for the attackers eyes and if they grab you from behind try to go limp and slide out of their grasp. I would try to gouge their eyes while screaming from fear and disgust.

I read that if you puke on an attacker, he will probably leave you alone after that.

One cannot make themselves vomit at the spur of the moment.

I eat Burger King before I go for walks.

It doesn't matter if one had a seven-course meal beforehand, one still cannot make themselves vomit at the spur of the moment.

You must have a really strong stomach.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

I like the idea another poster posted:  A personal sized hairspray.  Heavily scented.  Cap off and ready to spray.  Being very aware and careful also helps.  Don't walk alone in isolated areas and avoid night time walks.   Take off those ear buds so we are able to 'hear' what's happening around or behind us.  (Cars, etc., etc.)

side note on this too.........carry a small sprayer filled with dish soap and water.  You know how soap in the eyes is!!

@qualitygal  Add some bleach to that and it would really sting!

@SeaMaiden  I wouldn't add bleach. Bleach can permanently damage eyes.

Regardless of a person being the victim, the perp could sue.  Stranger things have happened.

Remember the idiot thief who was injured by the garage door while trying to get out of the house???  He sued.  And the jury voted FOR him.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Yes.   I walk my two poodles, on leash, and we have been attacked by dogs that are off leash.  Once, I was bitten (on the behind!) when I dropped to protect my littlest.  

I carry an an air horn that I picked up at the pet store.  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Whether out walking the dog... jogging, or walking alone or just alone.... I was considering either a taser or pepper spray.  Just wondering if you found something that works for you. 

@SeaMaiden

I carry both a taser in my purse and pepper spray on my key chain.

When I'm walking to my car, I always have my keys in my hand (with the pepper spray attached), that way if they snatch my purse (with the taser inside) I can still protect myself with the pepper spray.

I have a ladies version taser, small, pink and I could easily carry it in my hand when walking, but prefer not to.

Heaven help them if I make it to my car before they attack me, 'cause there's a .38 waiting for them there.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.