Honored Contributor

Re: Do you carry anything on you for protection?

[ Edited ]

Here's the thing.... never carry anything you haven't been trained with.... the reason, it can easily be taken away from you and used against you.

I have a 2nd degree Black Belt in Tang Soo Do Karate. I am also trained in Hapkido, have certifications in staffs, swords and hand to hand.  I have been in free fighting competitions (females and males) and have taught adults and children the art of defense. 

Always be aware of your surroundings (and most here say they are!)... and to never discount gut feelings.

Learning what they call "one step fighting", Hapkido, which are knowing joint locks, throws, dynamic kicking techniques and using someone else's inerta to overcome a hostile situation can be learned quickly and practiced exclusively allowing the student to be proficient very fast. Practicing this over and over doesn't require having to study a whole Martial Arts.  Streamlining defense into something more practical  Gives great confidence and is highly effective.

I have always recommended women find a decent women's self defense class and at least take it once, and practice the moves with someone often.  And if the  woman gets the chance to practice with a man, to do so because men and women fight differently and those women who get the opportunity carry with them the knowledge and experience if/when they get into trouble....  

As far as pepper sprays, etc... they're great provided you have the time to use them, and they aren't taken away from you and used to disable you.

I no longer train as I used to do and no longer do the fancy stuff, or demo nunchaku, swords or staffs, or teach but I do keep up with the one step defense, very easy to do, doesn't require a lot of effort, just repetitive motions and can be practiced with or without a partner.

I hope everyone remains safe and that no one ever has to use any self defense....      

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@dex wrote:

@chrystaltree My dh told me if possible go for the attackers eyes and if they grab you from behind try to go limp and slide out of their grasp. I would try to gouge their eyes while screaming from fear and disgust.

I read that if you puke on an attacker, he will probably leave you alone after that.

One cannot make themselves vomit at the spur of the moment.

I eat Burger King before I go for walks.

It doesn't matter if one had a seven-course meal beforehand, one still cannot make themselves vomit at the spur of the moment.

You must have a really strong stomach.

@mistriTsquirrel

My answer to the question is that everyone should carry their own attack squirrel!!!  gaah.gif

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I have been known to place a small knife (and my cell phone) in my apron pockets when unknown workmen are scheduled to arrive.  Once I know the guys and they are repeats, I carry only my cell phone.  So, I guess I have armed mysefl.

Listen, you never know what someone will do.  Several years after I became a widow, I needed some electrical work done and hired someone who had good credentials.   He did a superb job, but he did do something on a repeat visit that freaked me out.  

He arrived with a bouquet of flowers (and something else that, honestly, I cannot remember but he did on a recent visit) after scheduling an evening visit.  I am now distrustful of evening visits, to say the least.  Put a stop to that!  However, I made it clear that I respected his marriage, etc., and that I'm not a hanky-panky sort, and we have a professional relationship to this day, 13 years later. 

He was attractive in a way, but I don't do that.

@golding76

Do you have his phone number?????

Honored Contributor

BTW, yes I have a small crow bar in my car within reach.  But I know how to carry it and use it as a weapon if I ever have to.  (It's a foot long with a curved part, the curved part I place in the palm of my hand and the long part goes up my arm to give my punch and arm extra strength).... luckily I've never had to use it... hopefully never will!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Sea Maiden:  Our postal carrier (about thirty years ago) sprayed a neighbor's dog (a barker) with some sort of spray.  The dog was 'after him', and I'm guessing that it would have bitten him on the leg.   She, at the time, 'lost' a few dogs over the years.  (Sadly run over by cars).  One came after me when I was walking across the street, and I kept running around and around a parked car, ready to climb onto the hood.  The lady came out and actually 'yelled' at me!   Not nice words either.   I guess she saw that I wasn't too happy, even though I didn't say anything to her.  Just my frustrated 'look', I guess.   She's been long gone now, so we don't see many (if any at all) loose/stray dogs around.  We hear about them via flyers, but haven't seen any, so far.

@ROMARY

She probably thought that if her dogs bit you, it would make them sick!  animated-smileys-laughing-016.gif

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Oh, I thought you meant something else.  If I had any in my purse, they'd probably be expired by now.  LoL

I've thought about it and realized that a Mag-Lite flashlight is probably a better weapon than pepper spray, so I keep that in my dominant hand if I'm out walking.

LOL when I first saw the thread title I thought it was about something else too. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@kitcat51 How about those spray sunscreens...get those in your eyes and you know it.Also get that in your lungs and it is not good either.

@dex  What about oven cleaner? That should blind them good!

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

When I'm walking the dogs our dogs are my protection, lol!  They are huge, horse-like animals that have a keen sense for when someone is a weirdo.  Someone would have to be really stupid to approach me with ill intent with one of our pooches in tow!  :-)

@Julie928  Yes. It depends on the dog.  I have heard of women out walking their dog and they get attacked......dog found running around with leash on loose....owner missing. The happened locally...the lady was raped. Not all pets are great protector dogs. 

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@dex wrote:

@chrystaltree My dh told me if possible go for the attackers eyes and if they grab you from behind try to go limp and slide out of their grasp. I would try to gouge their eyes while screaming from fear and disgust.

I read that if you puke on an attacker, he will probably leave you alone after that.

One cannot make themselves vomit at the spur of the moment.

Vulnerable areas on an attacker are eyes, nose, throat, groin, knees, feet.

Honey, I could spew stuff out of both ends if I was scared enough!

Respected Contributor

I don't like being scared and when someone does scare me and I do survive the incident it makes me mad.  I had a couple scares over the last few years being approached.  I don't want to say more and get upset all over again. I try not to walk alone but sometimes it's unavoidable. I don't carry anything.  I drive a truck and that is my refuge and will use it if I have to.  Also, it has the loudest horn of any vehicle I've ever driven.