Honored Contributor

Re: Do you admit when you're wrong?

I believe that I admit when I'm wrong but not necessarily right away.  If someone accuses me of doing something and I don't believe I did that thing, I'll step back and analyze it for a while.

When you're accused of being wrong about something by an angry person especially, that accuser is usually too emotional to always see things clearly.  Both parties are focused on proving their point, not necessarily facts.  Especially on a public bulletin board to get people to side with them.

I'm never going to say I'm wrong to appease that other person but I will admit I'm wrong when I know I am.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

I always admit when i am wrong...i think my parents pounded that into me...haha.....on the other hand ...my husband  will rarely admit he is wrong .....and on the few occasions he has......he will somehow blame someone else OR some other obstacle that caused him to be wrong.....

Him taking full blame for being wrong i don't think i have heard in  36 years!!

Honored Contributor

Yes. Always.

Valued Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

I always admit when i am wrong...i think my parents pounded that into me...haha.....on the other hand ...my husband  will rarely admit he is wrong .....and on the few occasions he has......he will somehow blame someone else OR some other obstacle that caused him to be wrong.....

Him taking full blame for being wrong i don't think i have heard in  36 years!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

@kelsey17   I had to laugh when I read your post. I used to tell my husband ( ex) that he would blame someone else (me) if he stepped on his own foot.

To answer the O/P, I will admit when I'm wrong, but will not take kindly  to being falsely accused.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a problem admitting it when I'm wrong.  On the other hand, when I know I'm right and I prove it to someone, they still don't want to admit that they're wrong.  I don't have a problem telling people I'm sorry if I hurt their feelings either but if someone hurts mine they just "want to forget about it", pretend it didn't even happen. 

Respected Contributor

Yes!! It is much more freeing than trying to justify my behavior, actions or words.

Respected Contributor

Always, it is just so much easier than letting garbage rent space in my head. 

Pride before the fall. 

Esteemed Contributor

It took me a while in my emotional development to reach the point when I could say "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong" and mean it. Ego can be blamed for those who can never own up. For me, it was one of the most liberating moments of my life to realize I didn't always have to be right. It's only gotten better.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

It took me a while in my emotional development to reach the point when I could say "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong" and mean it. Ego can be blamed for those who can never own up. For me, it was one of the most liberating moments of my life to realize I didn't always have to be right. It's only gotten better.

Yes!

It was a slow transformation, but I'm on the other side.

I used to play 'Devil's Advocate' w/ myself...trying to put myself in their shoes to see their point of view.  Doing this allowed myself to not only see but really understand their stance.  Really put my ego at bay. 

I felt empowered when I had a little row w/ my older, more Alpha, sister a while back.  With my newfound skill, I 'saw' everything!    She tried to apologize, but it was a "I'm sorry, but..." and "I'm sorry you feel that way" type of apologies....which we all know are not apologizes...and she really struggled to address this months after.   She's still stuck in the always-be-right mindset/ego.  

Yes, @MaggieMack....it IS liberating! 

Trusted Contributor

Oh, goodness, yes!  I have no problem at all admitting when I'm wrong.