Esteemed Contributor

Do u get Sunday night blues?

Another work week will start tomorrow morning and it never seems like the weekends are long enough! I traveled on Saturday to visit an elderly parent, so this weekend feels particularly short; I didn’t get to run usual errands. I have a great job and I’m grateful for that, but I get so tired of work....just venting. I have no interest in retiring either. Anyone else feel this way on Sunday nights? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do u get Sunday night blues?

I think usually mostly people who work get the Sunday night blues.

However, I think sometimes people who don't work feel that way.

I think when I worked I used to feel that way but it was so long ago...

I make an effort to make sure the weekends aren't ust another day.

I haven't worked in well over 40 years and it's different when busy raising children.

However, now they've moved on and my husband died years ago.

It's easy to think of the weekends as 'just another day'.  But I don't think that's a good idea.

I think it's important to start each day of the week for what it is (i.e. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (hump day) and so on).

I really feel like it keeps an old(er) person alert and looking forward to the next day (whatever it is).

But in answer to your questions, I think everyone feels a little blue (especially on Sunday evenings) because, for whatever reason....good/bad...we know there's 5 days ahead until the next 'weekend'.

The weekends are when 'different' things happen.  People we know and love are off work and have a few minutes to spend time meeting up with or talking on the phone with us.

In closing, as I've said, whether you work or not, it's not unusual to feel sad (even if it doesn't mean you have to get up for work) that the weekend has come and gone.

This is different but in a way similar.  I remember when I worked I would look forward to a vacation but in some ways I'd almost dread it because it would mean it would come and go. 

You know what I mean?  It's a kind of let down.  Maybe it doesn't make sense but i remember feeling that way.

One of the things those who retire have to get used to is realizing that if you don't get something done...there is always tomorrow and you can do it then.....

Take care and I hope you have a good week ahead.  

Here's something I've said to myself for many years.  I used to say it to my girls:

Today is a new day.

GOD has given me 24 hours to use as I wish.

When the day is done....

I hope I don't regret the price I paid for it.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361  Yes, I do.  I work Mon-Ffri full time, so my weekends are a  neverending list of items to do.   Laundry, clean house, mop floors, buy groceries, work in the yard, it goes on and on.

Today, I found myself cleaning out the bathroom drawers that had become ridiculously overpacked and unorganized while the laundry was going.  Then more laundry, and I'm almost done vacuming and then will dust and mop the floors.  

Can't wait until my 2 week vacation comes up!  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I remember feeling that way in school and then on until I retired. Now I never know what day it is. LOL

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Before I retired, I looked forward to Mondays as a new start to a productive day in the workplace.  If I knew that there might be dissention or disorder on Monday morning, that would make me feel a bit apprehensive until the day ran relatively smoother.  Since retirement, I watch the Sunday night weather report and plan Monday's activities accordingly.

Respected Contributor

I feel just the opposite.  I too still work, no plans for retirement anytime in the near future, and that it OK with me.  I love Sunday nights, because it is the last chance for rest and relaxation before the work week begins.  Love it in the summer especially because we grill outside and enjoy the yard.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

I seems as though majority of my weekends are usually spent getting everything ready for the next work week.  I'm always busy running errands and cleaning the house.

This Saturday we met with another couple for lunch.  It was a lot of fun, but I almost felt guilty that I had stopped by regular routine of working around the house, to stop and just sit back, relax and enjoy myself.     

Life is short, time flys by so fast.  Sometimes you just have to forget about the "reguar routine" and just step out-of-the-box and enjoy life.

I've learned not to ruin my Sunday evening by worrying that work is the next day.  Worrying will not change anything so don't waste time doing it.

Hope you have a good week.

Respected Contributor

when i worked i did feel the sunday night blues.  i remember it well.  now that i am retired, i absolutely love sunday nights.  

Valued Contributor

I read somewhere that 4 p.m. on Sundays people start getting a little 'down' because they're thinking about Monday.  My work days are long and Mondays are busy so before I know it, 5:30 pm arrives and Monday is over.  

What I do is try to carve out some fun time during the week, either shopping at lunch or making plans for dinner with a friend.  The other thing I do is take a lot of Fridays off or even 1/2 day here and there.  

My DH always says, "It's not called "going to fun" and "that's why they pay us."  

Esteemed Contributor

YES! absolutely...

and to top it off I had last week off,

tomorrow I start a new work schedule

BLECH!