Esteemed Contributor

The couple on the cover of the Woodstock Album

Well, this just made me cry. 

CBS Sunday morning was doing stories about the 50th anniversary of Woodstock, and they introduced the couple on the famous album.

Still together after 50 years.  Sigh.  There are good things in the world...that is what I want to remember today:

Here is the story and their photo today:

http://www.hvmag.com/Hudson-Valley-Magazine/August-2017/The-Couple-From-The-Iconic-Woodstock-Album-C...

Honored Contributor

Re: The couple on the cover of the Woodstock Album

@Witchy Woman  I just saw this on the Sunday morning show.

It's nice that after all these years they're still married.  My late husband used to always comment that we and all of of our friends who got married the same year ('66) are all still married.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 

1969 is a special year for me in an very personal way.  I won't go into it here.

Nevertheless, I was 18 when it happened and turned 19 that October.  I wanted desparately to go, but, having grown up in a tiny, midwestern town, it was a no go for me....I was already working and a "responsible" adult...having skipped going to college.  

But, it was a distant dream to be part of it and I followed it all with burning interest.  

Looking back, I'd have been crazy with all the mud and mess, so, it's best I just have a memory of "what might have been." Cat Happy

They were a sweet couple and have some great memories, not to mention an iconic photo of themselves!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

I wanted to say that I'm sorry you didn't get more time with your husband....50 years at least!

But I know he is always with you and certainly will remain in your heart for forever.

And, yes, people just don't seem to stay married very long. I'm on my second marriage and, even at that, I'm married longer than anyone I know!

Honored Contributor

I have a wall of special albums in my office and Woodstock in right in the middle. I was much to young to go but remember wishing I could.

Great story!

Esteemed Contributor

Living in NY i was one of the lucky ones who did get to go

to Woodstock.............it was a experience of a lifetime for sure.............but we did end up leaving half way through the weekend................things were getting harder to deal with....

getting drinking water.......standing in lines forever for the bathroom, water, etc.............  we met nice people on our journey............alot of burnouts too.................it was glamourized because of the "peace" aspect which was in itself a miracle....................but by the time we left things

were really going a bit downhill...including the weather,

overdoses, helicopters flying in for emergencies...etc.  My mother was so relieved my sister and i came home...she burst into tears.....she had seen what the festival was turning into and was so grateful we left a bit early.......................................

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Enjoyed your post.  You know my teenage granddaughters are obsessed with the 80's (you can't imagine).  Some of it is because of the movie "Stranger Things"...

Yet they love hearing me (Grandma) talk about what it was like being a teenager in the 60's.  I got married when I was barely 19 years old.  But even before then ...... well...I had a ball.

Every party I went to in high school there was a group of kids playing in a band.  Yepper!  They'd set the entire band up in someone's house.

Back then neighbors either joined in or ignored it.  Every now and then someone would call the cops.  That was mainly when the house over-flowed with people and they'd come out for air.

Contrary to what people read about, I never saw drugs being used but you want to talk about alcohol being consumed?  It was downright crazy.

I never drank.  I just didn't like the taste and my father was a functioning alcohol.  I sure didn't see it as a form of entertainment.  That said, I remember seeing all of these kids acting like idiots, sick as a dog.  Then the next day they'd feel like @#$ and I'd look at them and think, "You have no idea how stupid you looked".

I've always tried to tell my grandchildren and children you can have more fun by not consuming drugs or over-indulging in anything because the next day, you'll feel great and remember how much fun you had.  

My little sister was actually REALLY at Woodstock.  She was very young but went with a group of friends.  She has always been our favorite REAL "Hippie".  She and the guy(s) she eventually married lived in real communes off and on.  She has some sad, funny and let's just say interesting stories to tell.

I'm a few years older than both of my little sisters (different father); but we never think of ourselves that way.

We are as different as night and day.  I do remember my late husband and myself and our version of being cool.  He worshiped Jimmy Hendrix and I loved Janice Joplin.  I mean to tell you....she was all that to me.  Ha!

We got married young but waited (on purpose) for 7 years before we had children.  We partied up the wazoo with 5 other married couples.  All are still married today.  There was never any problems with infidelity or 'over-consumption' or drug use.  

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

to Woodstock.............it was a experience of a lifetime for sure.............but we did end up leaving half way through the weekend................things were getting harder to deal with....

getting drinking water.......standing in lines forever for the bathroom, water, etc.............  we met nice people on our journey............alot of burnouts too.................it was glamourized because of the "peace" aspect which was in itself a miracle....................but by the time we left things

overdoses, helicopters flying in for emergencies...etc.  My mother was so relieved my sister and i came home...she burst into tears.....she had seen what the festival was turning into and was so grateful we left a bit early.......................................

@kelsey17.  My sister was there with her boyfriend. They got there early and stayed the whole time.

Meanwhile we had tickets to go but when my husband heard about the traffic he said we weren’t going. LOL.

I still have the tickets.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@kelsey17 wrote:

@kelsey17.  My sister was there with her boyfriend. They got there early and stayed the whole time.

Meanwhile we had tickets to go but when my husband heard about the traffic he said we weren’t going. LOL.

I still have the tickets.

I give your sister credit.....and i am sure you heard alot about the Woodstock going on's....haha....We left just before some groups were taking their clothes off!! haha

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

You've had an interesting and fun life for sure!

It took me a few years to appreciate Janice J., but I do enjoy her now.  Don't hear much about her anymore, but, it's been so long ago...music has moved on a million miles.

But, she was one of a kind.  As was Jimmy H.  Did you see what these artists were paid to appear at Woodstock?  I think Hendrix got the most, but Carlos Santana was paid $1,500.

As I said, I grew up in the midwest....never saw any drug use, and very little drinking.  Graduated in 1968....just went to my 50th HS reunion last September.  We all wanted to be "hippies" but, there wasn't much of that action in Illiniois.  Close as I got was wearing tie-die shirtsCat LOL

Cannot imagine living in a commune!  Your sister was adventerous to say the least.  

Truth be told, much of it was glamorized.  It wasn't the life for me...but it was fun to pretend we were on the fringes of it.

I'm happy I grew up in those years in a small town.  We were mostly happy, safe and, came out the other side of those years as largely decent people.

They showed some of the mud and muck and I thought, "oh, no, I'd have never made it!"