Esteemed Contributor

Do hairdressers get unemployment?

The lady who does my hair owns her own small shop. She has maybe 3 other people who work there, I think they are part time. Anyway, dh and I were talking about my hairstylist.

He said she may not have paid unemployment insurance in, since she owns her own shop and was never planning on this.

Does anyone know if hairstylists usually pay unemployment insurance?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do hairdressers get unemployment?

Most stylists are independent contractors and only rent space in a salon so the normal answer is they are not eligible for unemployment.  BUT, the new stimulus bill does have accommodations and money I believe for "gig" workers.

Regular Contributor

While independent contractors would not normally be eligible, under the new legislation, they can receive benefits.

Honored Contributor

The owner of the salon would be a self employed business person and not pay into the unemployment system.  That person is not eligible for unemployment benefits.

However, this person could collect $600 a week until July under the CARES program.

The salon employees could collect unemployment depending on how they are paid.

Some stylists work for a small salary and get commission based on how much money they bring into the salon.  Some work on commission only.  These stylists should be paying unemployment taxes and would be eligible for unemployment....plus the $600 a week until July from CARES.

And then we have stylists who rent their chair and station from the owner.  They are considered self employed and do not pay unemployment taxes.  They too are eligible for the CARES $600 until July, but not unemployment benefits.

Esteemed Contributor

Ok, thank you all for your replies. I was worried about her, I feel better now. 

Respected Contributor

My stylist called to touch base the other day and did say that she had filed for unemployment.

It is so hard for those who depend on tips.

I have no idea when things open again how in the world they will figure out how to get everyone in and when.  They have so many clients and will be totally overwhelmed. 

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

Thought they said on tv if you file a 1099 you get unemployment.

Esteemed Contributor

My hairdresser owns her Salon and she applied for unemployment. She has already received conformation. From what I´ve heard, if someone pays taxes, they are qualified to receive the stimulus.

Honored Contributor

The woman who does my hair has said she could not get unemployment. She is not employed by the salon.  She rents a chair and when I pay her, I pay her directly, not the salon.