Frequent Contributor

Re: Do You Still Have a Sears Store?

Ours closed years ago.  About 5 years ago I was still able to get a Kenmore elite refrigerator from the next town; it's closed now too.  I also hear the elite Kenmore appliances are no more.  I'll miss that the next time I need an appliance!  They all held up well.  My friends that have expensive foreign brands have nothing but trouble and they don't last.  

I think Sears should have stuck with appliances and tools!  They were great.  

Honored Contributor

No.  Just googled - closest one is in New Jersey. I live in NY.

Respected Contributor

No. It closed a couple years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, sadly they are all closed. I have good memories when it comes to Sears. The last time I went to one was about four years ago. I had to replace the battery in my car, and it closed shortly after.

When I purchased my first house about 20 years ago, I purchased a washing machine and Dryer from one, this was obviously before their epic fail. 

Growing up, that was where my grandmother always shopped. I remember flipping through her catalog, and pretending that  I was buying items. :-)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have lost Sears, Penney's and K Mart.  That means no clothing outlets except Walmart.  So I am an online shopper only.  

Honored Contributor

This area of WV lost the big Sears store at the mall years ago.  

When we had the small local Sears store for catalog pickup, I ordered often.   My ordering dropped off when everything moved to the mall, and I rarely ever stepped foot inside that store.   

I still remember the number on my Sears credit card account, opened around 1975; that number is literally etched into my brain!   

Honored Contributor

There are 2 Sears Outlets now called American Freight but the department store closed about 2 years ago.

Other than appliances, the department store became shoddy, no help, and I stepped in only once to look at children's clothes.  Found nothing.

I remember when Kenmore was THE appliance to buy decades ago.

Gone are those days of Sears, Montgomery Ward, and others we remember growing up.  At least in my memory.  lol

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@lovepink wrote:

Ours closed years ago.  About 5 years ago I was still able to get a Kenmore elite refrigerator from the next town; it's closed now too.  I also hear the elite Kenmore appliances are no more.  I'll miss that the next time I need an appliance!  They all held up well.  My friends that have expensive foreign brands have nothing but trouble and they don't last.  

I think Sears should have stuck with appliances and tools!  They were great.  

@lovepink 

For what it's worth, I was able to replicate my 18 year old Kenmore Elite refrigerator by buying an identical  Whirlpool just a few months ago.  Love the top refrigerator/bottom freezer drawer. We were told that Whirlpool manufactured the Kenmores. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Closest Sears closed several years ago.  The location became a county vaccine site but it is closed now. 

I remember getting a Sears credit card a long time ago.  It transitioned into a Discover card, which I still use.  I used to buy Kenmore appliances and my Dad liked Craftsman tools.

They were guaranteed forever.  I had a Craftsman oscillating lawn sprinkler that broke after several years.  I was given a new one when I brought the old one in to Sears.  This was maybe 25 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

It closed before Covid I know.  Miss it, used to have a good Lands End section.  No idea what is there now.