Respected Contributor

Do You Still Have a Sears Store?

Our Sears store which was large is permanently closed here in West Texas, but I am getting two or three emails daily from Sears regarding merchandise or repair services. Do you still have a Sears where you live?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Still Have a Sears Store?

@On It    We do, but it's nothing like its former self.

I did buy a wall of appliances in the store some months ago.   My development is about a half mile away and the salesman knew exactly what they had in stock that would fit in my spaces.  

I've heard the sad tales from too many neighbors who fall in love with what they see online and then find out it doesn't fit when it's delivered or doesn't fit without bringing in someone to cut away some cabinets.

I was so glad to have that part of my project here go so easily!   I will miss Sears when it's gone even though I used it rarely, I did use it.  Spent more $$ on that one trip to Sears than I have spent in the rest of that mall in several years even though I once shopped many of the 90+ stores there frequently.     

Honored Contributor

No,closed a few years ago.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

No. Sears has closed near me.  I truely believe that if Sears had moved with the times they would still be around.  If twenty years ago they had started online like Amazon did they would have been a sucess. But they still did business like it was the 1960's for too long.  It is sad Sears has collapsed, but it is really their own fault for not moving with the times. 

Respected Contributor

No the Sears closed several years ago.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

i couldn't tell you where my nearest Sears store is.  The one in the mall nearest me is closed, and the auto service garage area was recently converted to a drive-thru Covid vaccination clinic.  They now do drive-thru Covid testing there two days a week. 

Honored Contributor

Our Sears store, and an adjacent Sears Auto, hung in there a long time but finally closed last year.  For years, it was a ghost town.  I suspect Lampert was holding out for a deal on the real estate.  It was part of a much larger parcel (yes, a mall) that was being redeveloped.

As for J C Penney, I still get their emails and coupon codes, but their closest location is 25 - 30 miles away.  That's too far, especially when Target is only four miles away.  

Trusted Contributor

Closed four or five years ago.  No surprise, the last time I went in there I was the only customer, and only one sales person who stayed on the other side of the store.  I hadn't been going there prior to that because of the attitude of the sales people. Years ago I shopped there all the time and the sales staff was very helpful.   It must have come from higher up - as the years went by they went from less helpful to outright nasty.  Maybe it was just the culture at my local store?

We used to get everything there - household, clothes, appliances, tires, routine auto service ... too sad. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I shopped Sears for all our grandsons' uniform pants.  I could get navy Docker's price tagged at about $36/pair for about $10-12 each.  Great price when you're buying about 12 pairs of pants twice a year!

Bought many appliances from there.

Got tires and had oil changes done there.

Honored Contributor

Lord no.

On the Border closed, Furr's cafeteria,  and slew of others.

Covid pretty well slammed the door on a lot of stores and restaurants.