Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Say Either of These Phrases?

@Yardlie,

No, I haven't heard of either. Where is the person from?

Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

I recently met a lady who just moved here. Yesterday, I had lunch with her. I know that there are different ways of saying things across the country, but she came out with a couple new ones...to me (at least). Do you say either of these:

Instead of saying that she stood in line for tickets, she kept saying that she stood on line for tickets. Never heard that one before, and I've lived in several parts of the country.

Also, she said, that she liked her old house better than her new one as the windows "gave" onto the downtown skyline. Around here, we say that the windows "looked out on"....

Ever hear of the two ways of saying things? Any other phrases that seem odd to you?

Never heard those too, but you said "came out with a couple new ones" which sounds odd to me.  I see it a lot, but I would always say "came out with a couple OF new ones."  Just sounds incomplete to me without the "of" in it.  

These things are always interesting to me!

Respected Contributor

Never heard of either saying.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee ... I know they moved here from NYC, but I think she grew up in CA. Every part of the country has so many interesting ways of saying things.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Regular Contributor

Yes, I say stood on line.  I don't use the other phrase "gave". 

Honored Contributor

I learned ON line during my first day as a teacher.  I was on lunch duty and my colleague told me the kids would stand on line as she called their tables and I would supervise that line.  I walked over to find the line.  No line.  Fortunately the kids knew the drill and lined up along an implied one.  Very common here on Long Island, but not in central PA where I grew up.

The other expression "gave (onto a view)" is very poetic, very literary.  I've seen it in numerous English novels, but I can't remember hearing it in conversation.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

I recently met a lady who just moved here. Yesterday, I had lunch with her. I know that there are different ways of saying things across the country, but she came out with a couple new ones...to me (at least). Do you say either of these:

Instead of saying that she stood in line for tickets, she kept saying that she stood on line for tickets. Never heard that one before, and I've lived in several parts of the country.

Also, she said, that she liked her old house better than her new one as the windows "gave" onto the downtown skyline. Around here, we say that the windows "looked out on"....

Ever hear of the two ways of saying things? Any other phrases that seem odd to you?

Never heard those too, but you said "came out with a couple new ones" which sounds odd to me.  I see it a lot, but I would always say "came out with a couple OF new ones."  Just sounds incomplete to me without the "of" in it.  

@Sooner ... I guess I say it both ways. I'm a writer (an avocation). In my writing classes, I've had instructors say that I use too many filler words like "of" and "that" ... whatever! LOL!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

Yes people from Northern NJ and NY say "stand on line."  Being from south of central NJ, I've always said "stand in line." 

Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@Sooner ... I guess I say it both ways. I'm a writer (an avocation). In my writing classes, I've had instructors say that I use too many filler words like "of" and "that" ... whatever! LOL!

I see this all the time now, and always wonder where did it start?  I mean you don't say "pair pants" or "trio songs" "pride lions" and such.  How did the "of" disappear from couple?  Anyone out there know?  A puzzlement for sure!  LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I"m from central NJ.  I say "stood in line". Never heard windows "gave" I say, "looked out on". I never say "cut off the lights" but have heard it many times. My dad hated to hear it and would always point out that you "turn off lights" not "cut them off". Guess that's why I don't say it. Same with "sumptin" and "nut'n" he would always correct us telling us to say "some - thing and noth - ing."

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran