Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Say Either of These Phrases?

I heard "on line" or" wait on me" in the midwest.

Esteemed Contributor

on line - Yes

Windows Gave - NO

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I don't, nor have I even heard of either of them.

But I do know that there are all kinds of regional word-uses and phrases that are not used where I've ever lived.   It's just one of those things where I don't think there is a right or wrong - just different.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only bit of phraseology that ever made me cringe was when I was licensed in quite a few states and we had just gotten (another state) added to our lineup. 

When we first started talking to people in (this other state) on the phone I kept hearing, when I would ask which coverage they would prefer (or some sort of a 'choice' question like that) - 'It don't make me no never mind'.

Now - I DO try to be open and accepting, but that one really got my goat.  The first time I recall responding something like 'uh, excuse me?'.  I had no clue what the person meant.  After I caught on I just tried to respond and move along without going insane.  Smiley Happy

*edited to remove the name of the state because you never know who might be offended, although no offense intended.

Honored Contributor

I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that the English say "on line" and interesting that another poster said she thought the phrase "gave onto" sounded like a poetic old English way of saying it.

@VanSleepy[

tsk, tsk, of course the correct way to say "It's your turn" is "It's your go"

Why? because I have always said it that way lol!

BTW, for those of us who are interested in the English language-you use it's when it's a contraction- it is=it's.

When it's a possessive, you do not use the apostrophe.

As in the dogs leash.

NOt that a lot of people care but I think this one is easily mixed up and I still like to know-yep I'm probably one of those dinasaurs-still thinking 10 years ago that kids should still learn how to spell, even though they had spell check.

Okay, a little off track. 

That's allSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

I recently met a lady who just moved here. Yesterday, I had lunch with her. I know that there are different ways of saying things across the country, but she came out with a couple new ones...to me (at least). Do you say either of these:

Instead of saying that she stood in line for tickets, she kept saying that she stood on line for tickets. Never heard that one before, and I've lived in several parts of the country.

Also, she said, that she liked her old house better than her new one as the windows "gave" onto the downtown skyline. Around here, we say that the windows "looked out on"....

Ever hear of the two ways of saying things? Any other phrases that seem odd to you?

Never heard those too, but you said "came out with a couple new ones" which sounds odd to me.  I see it a lot, but I would always say "came out with a couple OF new ones."  Just sounds incomplete to me without the "of" in it.  

These things are always interesting to me!

@Sooner ... I guess I say it both ways. I'm a writer (an avocation). In my writing classes, I've had instructors say that I use too many filler words like "of" and "that" ... whatever! LOL!

I see this all the time now, and always wonder where did it start?  I mean you don't say "pair pants" or "trio songs" "pride lions" and such.  How did the "of" disappear from couple?  Anyone out there know?  A puzzlement for sure!  LOL!!!

I imagine it happened when we began using our fingers to speak! I know I often cut out unnecessar words when I've typed a lot!😬 The one I don't like is when someone "sleeps over" so and so's house! Hope the roof was comfortable!  We move east from mid-west. No one knew what a "sack" was and my mom tried to ask flavored of sodas only to hear: root beer, orange, etc! She meant ice cream sodas! The other was "pop"!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@SilleeMee ... I know they moved here from NYC, but I think she grew up in CA. Every part of the country has so many interesting ways of saying things.

I grew up in CA and never heard either of those. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never heard either one of these phrases and I've lived all over the world/US; apparently, however, NOT where this lady is from : )

Honored Contributor

JaxsMom wrote:

Brinklii wrote:

@SilleeMee ... I know they moved here from NYC, but I think she grew up in CA. Every part of the country has so many interesting ways of saying things.

I grew up in CA and never heard either of those. 

I agree, also having grown up in CA, that those are not CA phrases.  That said, however, CA has long been a place where people have settled from all over so you never know.  

I have a couple things, from my father, that I've been known to say.  While he finished growing up in CA, he and his whole family came from AR to CA when he and his siblings were kids, and it is clear to me that those phrases originated somewhere in that region.

Honored Contributor

My MIL use to say the word Navagate, when she wanted to say move around. When we moved down south (husband military) it's been said on here before, they said "soda" for our "pop" and our soda usually meant a root beer float.  So that one I'll never forget.