Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@traveler

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/polio-cancer-treatment-duke-university-60-minutes-scott-pelley/

image.jpeg

It is being conducted through a Duke University trial, a pond the article has a link if you or someone you know wants to sign up for this study.

~~~~~

@LTT1,

This is a top priority with my research upon learning about brain tumors and _this treament_ thus far. 

I have  a doctor friend that is closely officiated with DUKE; very interesting to me, since research in medical is always on my mind. 

Yes, I would venture to address this as breakthrough NEWS. 

I have to speak with several more physicians to gather much more information -out that way-

Always searching the surface in health.

Thank you for posting the site.

"Some may have not known about this. It's quite new to some here. I heard of this some time ago. Would this not be a miracle"? 

NAES

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I'm glad you brought it up @drizzellla about taking the live polio virus in sugar cube form and then coming down with polio.

Apparently a person can get polio from the live virus vaccine. This is one reason why pediatricians have returned to administering the dead virus through injection to avoid this from happening.

In fact certain racial groups have more of a propensity to get polio from the live vaccine, that in Africa, the medical teams there had to return to using the dead vaccine inoculations because the live vaccine was causing cases of polio to occur.

The other problem in Africa is that certain religious groups are not allowing vaccination of their children for fear of Western poisoning to their children with these inoculations. This is also why the news is reporting outbreaks of polio in certain areas of Africa. Ignorance is harmful and dangerous to these innocent children.

I didn't know that. I of course did not come into the famiy until many years later. So I heard the talk about the quaratine and what the sister went through.And because my husband's family had a car and the Father worked second or third shift - he would pick up family memebers of some of the other children and take them to the hospital. I knew from the pictures that many of the children were AfroAmerican but I just thought because of the racial makeup of the city that is why there were many AfroAmerican kids in the unit. They were all together in the hospital in one unit and then they went to Widner School. My husband's Mom also volunteered everyday at the school. Her picture is even in the yearbook because she was there as much as the teachers. I have to give the women alot of credit - she had 4 other children. And Widner School is at least an hour away or more from their house. But she was a nurse and wanted to help the kids.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am too young (60) to have it affect me directly, the Salk and Sabin vaccines came about in the late 50's early 60's and we were given them in elementary school.

Sunny what is the name of the book,it sound like a good "Summer book"

@I am still oxox The title of the book is Nemesis, by Philip Roth. I can't believe this thread came back after so many years!
"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I surely do.  We lost a classmate to it in 1952.  He was only 12.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Polio?

[ Edited ]

When I was interviewing nannies for my children, one of them came to the interview with two braces, one on each arm.  She was able to drive to my house.  She wanted the job so much but I could see she thought she would not get it.

After having talked to about six women, I picked her ("Cam") and tears sprung from her eyes.  She was so grateful it brought me to tears also.  She told me she had polio as a child and it came back in her early forties and no one would hire her for anything. 

She was a great nanny and really loved my girls.  They loved her too and still talk about her.  She had a very hard life, was married to an 70 year-old Italian man who used to beat her.  She fell in love with my handsome 60 year-old father, but although he liked her as a friend and was kind to her.  He was not interested in anything with her, which I am sure did not surprise her.  I paid her half my net salary which I am sure her husband took from her.

When I married again and we moved to a new house, I no longer needed a nanny and hated having to tell her.  She cried and cried . . . it was so sad.  My children had become her life.  I told her she could visit whenever but she never did.  Her old man called me and really blinked me out, he liked the money.  I could hear her in the background crying "no, no."  It was not a good experience for any of us at the end.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

When I was interviewing nannies for my children, one of them came to the interview with two braces, one on each arm.  She was able to drive to my house.  She wanted the job so much but I could see she thought she would not get it.

After having talked to about six women, I picked her ("Cam") and tears sprung from her eyes.  She was so grateful it brought me to tears also.  She told me she had polio as a child and it came back in her early forties and no one would hire her for anything. 

She was a great nanny and really loved my girls.  They loved her too and still talk about her.  She had a very hard life, was married to an 70 year-old Italian man who used to beat her.  She fell in love with my handsome 60 year-old father, but although he liked her as a friend and was kind to her.  He was not interested in anything with her, which I am sure did not surprise her.  I paid her half my net salary which I am sure her husband took from her.

When I married again and we moved to a new house, I no longer needed a nanny and hated having to tell her.  She cried and cried . . . it was so sad.  My children had become her life.  I told her she could visit whenever but she never did.  Her old man called me and really blinked me out, he liked the money.  I could hear her in the background crying "no, no."  It was not a good experience for any of us at the end.

So so sad. Thank you for hiring her and giving her a break from her misery.

My husband's sister also started to have more trouble with stamina, balance and strength when she got into her 40s. Her polio was in her legs. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

So so sad. Thank you for hiring her and giving her a break from her misery.

My husband's sister also started to have more trouble with stamina, balance and strength when she got into her 40s. Her polio was in her legs. 

She had braces on her arms to support her legs.  The polio was in her legs.  Her arms were good enough to be able to drive.  She was a small woman, but somewhat overweight.  She had a sweet face though, and a way about her.  She was able to take care of my children though, because the youngest was five at that time.  They used to help her too, it was a learning experience for them. 

Thank you for your kind response.

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

I remember polio shots and the sugar cubes.  A friend's mother wore arm and leg braces after contracting it..

Esteemed Contributor

I was only nine when I had it, but I remember vividly those days.  Anyone who visited me had to visit through the window, they couldn't come in. They'd bring hot towels and put them on our backs, I hated that! They made us do all kinds of exercises and that hurt.  This was in the polio hostipal.  Before I got there, I was in an oxygen tank at the University Hospital for five days, with getting only vein feedings.  I had bubar polio so couldn't swallow.  I remember getting out, and trying to eat again, was told to chew like gum.  My Mom said my stomach looked like the inside of a nut shell.  I was so lucky to only be in the hospital five weeks when others were for months.  Two days after I got home I was junior bridesmaid for my sister's wedding.  My instructions then were no school until January, because I had to have a nap. Also no bike riding until the next year.  Did school work at home.  

Respected Contributor

@gloriajean wrote:

I was only nine when I had it, but I remember vividly those days.  Anyone who visited me had to visit through the window, they couldn't come in. They'd bring hot towels and put them on our backs, I hated that! They made us do all kinds of exercises and that hurt.  This was in the polio hostipal.  Before I got there, I was in an oxygen tank at the University Hospital for five days, with getting only vein feedings.  I had bubar polio so couldn't swallow.  I remember getting out, and trying to eat again, was told to chew like gum.  My Mom said my stomach looked like the inside of a nut shell.  I was so lucky to only be in the hospital five weeks when others were for months.  Two days after I got home I was junior bridesmaid for my sister's wedding.  My instructions then were no school until January, because I had to have a nap. Also no bike riding until the next year.  Did school work at home.  

@gloriajean

Thank you for sharing your story.