Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Love Getting Notifications

I think it's a little way of saying you care.

Love giving Heart Heart Heart 

Honored Contributor

I hadn't really given hearts much thought, but I do like getting them.

Honored Contributor

No, not really. I don't hate it either- it just is what it is. I don't give it much thought I suppose. I do like giving hearts and notifications for things I agree with or want to discuss with another person. It is nice feature now to be notified if someone responds to a question you ask because I often forget about checking back on a thread.  I certainly have never felt let down if I don't get hearts of anything, in fact, I've never really given it a second thought. I post what I feel I want to say and it doesn't matter to me if someone agrees with me or not and it doesn't hurt my feelings or bother me if no one hearts my thoughts. Again, I am not sure I've even noticed when no one has!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let's all help each other advance to the next "Contributor" level!!

image.jpeg

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Frequent Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Okay, maybe it's my low self esteem, but I have to say I love getting notifications! It kind of gives me validation as what I have to say is of interest to someone. I always feel a little let down when I don't get any. Anyone feel this way too?

Lol! No it's not low self esteem @Jordan2! It's nice to know posts are read.

The hearts are nice too!!!!!

*rememberance of my little sister. i miss you*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

Okay, maybe it's my low self esteem, but I have to say I love getting notifications! It kind of gives me validation as what I have to say is of interest to someone. I always feel a little let down when I don't get any. Anyone feel this way too?

@Jordan2, Wonderful thread!  Hey, listen, don't feel let downHeart...  sometimes posters are in a hurry and even though they read and appreciate a post they zip though a thread and don't add hearts for anyone.  A few don't like the feature, so they don't use it for anyone.

I wanted to add what I posted on another thread, though, because so many times I've seen posters say they feel invisible on these forums and that breaks my heart.

I think all of us can relate...  people want their voice to be heard.  But how many times do we post on threads and no one acknowledges what we wrote, and yet that really doesn't mean we weren't noticed. 

I think among the most thoughtful comments we can receive are:

"I hear you."

"What I heard you say was... (and they repeat our words, thoughts, feelings, emotions)."

"I never thought of it that way, but now that you've said this I'll give it careful thought."

"You matter."

"I hear you."

Of course we don't get our value from others, but my gosh do we want our voice to matter.

The heart feature allows us to be generous, to say "I hear you."

Here's a heart for all of you...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I never count up what someone else gets...remain focused on the giving so you know that you are making someone else smile...which I have to admit makes me happy to do.

@dex, your kind, thoughtful post reminds me of this, which I think is true about taking a second to "heart" a post:

"A smile costs nothing but gives much.

It enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give.

It takes but a moment, but the memory of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he cannot get along without it
and none is so poor that he cannot be made rich by it.

Yet a smile cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen,
for it is something that is of no value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.

Give them one of yours,

as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give."

(source unknown)

Heart

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Yes and no to getting notifications..  What is a bummer is when you're posting on an ongoing thread and everyone's hearted but one person- me.. LOL so I delete my post or ask the mod to delete it if that option isn't available... Too  dang funny & I agree with what was said earlier, some hearts are given due to popularity.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

Yes, I like getting hearts.  It gives one kind of a warm fuzzy feeling.  I am sometimes torn when I give them......   maybe I should say.... when I don't give them.  Every once in a while you see a thread where you really want to give everyone one...but you don't...and then I feel I may be leaving someone out.  That part of it I struggle with sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach You really delete your posts if you don't get hearts?  I usually don't even look to see if I get them. You are probably right about the popularity. I will have to remember to heart your posts.