Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Married For Money?

This has been an interesting thread to come back and read.

This morning, I was at a sport function for one of my kids. Saw many parents I hadn't seen in years as my older kids were in elementary school with their youngest. Now, some are attending functions with their grandkids, lol.

Catching up on the latest, quite a few were discussing their older children (who are now married or are getting married) and the "trends". Guess what came up? You guessed it, marrying for money. It's openly talked about by many women as to what they want in a husband. These moms were open as well (40's to late 50's); marring for money is the smart thing to do and that's that.

Why? Because if you're worked your butt off for a degree and a good job and you want to have a family and choose to stay home, he NEEDS to be able to provide to what both incomes bring. Have more than one child? Daycare will eat up your salary as will camp. You want the nice house on the hill, the vacation home, the nice cars, the trips, the stuff? Be smart and find a man who is at LEAST as educated as you and makes double the salary plus. It's just being smart.

I just sat back and listened and nodded. I was thinking, "oh I need to update my response because women ARE open and talking about it". Pinterest (?) and other forums discuss it quite a bit I'm told. 

Honored Contributor

I think it could and does work quite well as long as both spouses are genuine and decent people.

Many of those wives (and probably husbands also) are very dedicated to charities and helping people.  Many volunteer in hospitals and various cancer (and other) support groups, etc.

I'm only guessing that having plenty of money allows them to fully contribute to helping others on a daily basis. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I know a handful. Worked out great for most. It's hell on the biological children from prior marriages of the husband.

Honored Contributor

Sad that almost no one has mentioned love....only money.

I know someone who married a woman for her money; he didn't want to work and had no ambition; she was lonely and was glad to sign away her money; they were together about 10 years; now they are both poor....he spent all of her money, still doesn't work, and her company downsized and let her go. Glad they had no kids.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Sad that almost no one has mentioned love....only money.

I know someone who married a woman for her money; he didn't want to work and had no ambition; she was lonely and was glad to sign away her money; they were together about 10 years; now they are both poor....he spent all of her money, still doesn't work, and her company downsized and let her go. Glad they had no kids.

for some couples, love grows from the beginning.

you may not be married for love, but the love does come eventually.

i know it because i have seen it.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

There are times I wish I had married for money! 

Occasional Contributor

Yes.

She made a deal with the devil. Smiley Sad