Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Experience Unexpected, Fleeting, Special Moments That Last A Lifetime?

@MershaI wish but no.  I'm more of living in the now type..though I hate that saying.  I really don't remember profound moments from my childhood except the realization that we all die and no one but our mother and maybe our father if we're lucky will love us unconditionally.  I know...bring out the violins.  I do envy you though. 

Super Contributor

Re: Do You Experience Unexpected, Fleeting, Special Moments That Last A Lifetime?

Yes I do, I have two in particular.

One was a short trip I took with my parents.  This was just a few weeks before I got married and was going to move out of state. I can remember sitting in the backseat, looking out the window, and realizing what a special moment that was as we traveled through the mountains.  My mother passed away from dementia and this is a special memory of her when we had a lot of fun.

Another was when my oldest was a toddler.  I was a stay at home mom at the time and was playing with him on the floor.  I can remember looking outside, the way the sun hit the trees, looking at my son, and realizing how I would always remember that moment of him toddling around in his denim overalls.

It's interesting how we can make these deep but lasting fleeting memories.

Respected Contributor

i felt that God/Godess had their hand on my shoulder...

i was 22 and friends from New England were visiting us. We went to the ocean beach in Long Island. a short drive from our home.  i was a good swimmer, taking lifesaving courses. felt invincible or so i thought.  i was vain and wanted to show off.

The surf was big and active that day; the Flag was blue denoting rough surf - use caution.   There were multiple  lifeguards in chairs spaced along the sand.   i thought it was ok.

i quickly got into trouble and the rip current was taking me not only east but out to sea. the waves were huge and coming from all directions. the current was incredibly strong. i was so exhausted and in trouble,  i raised my arm to signal lifeguards. they did not see me as i drifted east away from the boundary flags. 

i had taken lifesaving courses and knew the three causes of drowning were panic, exhaustion and cramps.   well i was panicking and exhausted.  i had to reason with myself and talk myself down from panic.

i treaded water and half-swam parallell to shore for some distance until i could drag myself out of the water.

i will never forget that day. every summer people drown in the ocean in long island. i feel divine providence saved me that day.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

I am not speaking of those special moments such as marriages, births, parties, holidays or celebrations.

This is more of the moment that you never anticipated.  You realize when it is happening that it is very special and it will always be with you.

My most vivid is as a young child, probably 7 or 8 on a very cold day right before Christmas.  I was out sledding with several other children and the day was turning into night and the moon was growing brighter.  It began to snow as I was pulling my sled up the hill to return home.  I recall standing there for a moment and looking at everything.  In that moment, I knew it special. That proverbial "lightbulb went off.

That memory has stayed with me for all of these years.  It always hits me when I least expect it....the feeling of that very moment. 

That experience/memory will be with me forever.

Does that happen to you?

@Mersha your description is poetry. Thank you for the gift. Heart

To answer your question, yes it does.

Mine is very mundane but it happens often. I get a blissful, all is well in the world, eternal feeling almost every time I find myself quietly sitting by an open window with fresh air flowing and birds singing outside. I think it must have happened a lot when I was a baby and I know it's happened often throughout my life. When I think about it, it's also an experience other humans have had throughout the ages all over the world. For me it feels like an instant meditation and a communion with both myself and something greater than myself. I try not to force it because I don't want to ruin it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

All of these descriptions are where poetry comes from.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Wow!!  All of the responses are wonderful!

They are very touching and uplifting.

Thank you for sharing!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have. They are special moments indeed. There are feelings that the heart remembers, I truly believe. We may not remember all the details of such times, but our hearts seem to have memories of the feelings, if that makes any sense.

Thank you @Mersha, I needed this tonight. 

Honored Contributor

@Mersha 

Oh, that is lovely!  I am picturing that myself.  I think it is those unexpected moments or times that have the most meaning.  Not the planned ones, not the large or fancy parties or regular holidays, etc.  Some of the smallest, seemingly insignifcant moments at the time are often the most meaningful, poignant, and comforting.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I have read this thread a few times now. The responses are just beautiful. I really don't know if I ever had that feeling but I hope I do someday. Thank you all for sharing. ❤️

Honored Contributor

I don't know what it is, but every time, on a spring day, when I open the windows to let in the beautiful spring air, the curtains start to blow and billow. I am instantly transported to a house we lived in in Larchmont, NY, when we were little. It was a happy time and a happy place. I love the feeling of happiness when this happens, starts in my stomach, then ripples from head to toe. Bliss.