Honored Contributor

List of who is currently considered high risk when infected with COVID

[ Edited ]
  • From my local hospital. They are vaccinating persons of any age with these conditions. The hospital is in S. Florida.

• Asthma (moderate to severe)
  • Cancer
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Chronic Kidney Disease
  • COPD
  • Cystic Fibrosis
  • Down Syndrome
  • Heart conditions such as (Heart Failure, Coronary Artery Disease or Cardiomyopathies)
  • Hypertension or High Blood Pressure
  • Immunocompromised state from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of weakening medicines or solid organ transplant
  • Liver Disease
  • Neurologic conditions, such as Dementia
  • Overweight or Obese (Body Mass Index of greater than 25)
  • Pregnancy
  • Pulmonary Fibrosis
  • Sickle Cell Disease
  • Smoking
  • Thalassemia
  • Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
  • Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

The CDC List:

Adults of any age with the following conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from the virus that causes COVID-19:

COVID-19 is a new disease. Currently there are limited data and information about the impact of many underlying medical conditions on the risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Based on what we know at this time, adults of any age with the following conditions might be at an increased risk for severe illness from the virus that causes COVID-19:

Esteemed Contributor

Re: List of who is currently considered high risk when infected with COVID

[ Edited ]

Well, not much one can do abt it other than  have your name on 5 different  lists to try to receive the covid 19  vaccine . It won't happen any faster  unless  these  state bureaucrats  get moving and releasing the vaccines to  wlk in / drive through clinics   and  MD offices . Wv  Govenor said they kept the process Simple ... they did not over complicate  vaccinating the most vulnerable. Unfortunately the CDC guidelines  on what category  one fell in  was  based on  age or profession or that one was a politician . 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skatting44 wrote:

Well, not much one can do abt it other than  have your name on 5 different  lists to try to receive the vaccine . It won't happen any faster  unless  these  state bureaucrats  get moving and releasing the vaccines to  wlk in / drive through clinics   and  MD offices .

@skatting44 @The top list is from my local hospital that is currently vaccinating persons of any age with the conditions listed. This is in S. Florida. Some hospitals are doing their own vaccinations for high risk patients. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Well, not much one can do abt it other than  have your name on 5 different  lists to try to receive the vaccine . It won't happen any faster  unless  these  state bureaucrats  get moving and releasing the vaccines to  wlk in / drive through clinics   and  MD offices .

@skatting44 @The top list is from my local hospital that is currently vaccingbpersons of any age with the conditions listed. This is in S. Florida. Some hospitals are doing their own vaccinations for high risk patients. 

It is  not happening in all states. Mine has been a jam up . I know of several people who are not age 65 with some of the serious cardiac  & cancer  issues in the lists  you posted and  nothing is happening fast. They wait and wait .

Honored Contributor

I expect to receive the vaccination by this autumn, and I am classified as both obese and a Type-2 diabetic .  I am OK with being patient until it is my turn.  

Honored Contributor

Here in PA, they are still vaccinating people in catagory 1A. ( medical personal and long term care patients)  They are supposed to be done this week.

They are finally starting to set up venues to vaccinate seniors and others with health issues.  PA is very behind other states.  There are problems getting enough vaccine for everyone.

It will probably be late summer until they make a dent in this state.  The good news is the number of people testing positive is going down.

Honored Contributor

Bugs the c*ap out of me that especially cancer patients currently receiving infusions of any sort are in their centers (at least) once a week and these folks could not have been receiving this vaccine while there. When they visit with their Dr(s) for a checkup, they could get their vaccine there too.

I speak onbehalf of one person I know who's doing this right now - my husband but no one offered him a shot. His entire team has told him to definitely get the vaccine as it will not interfere. Well guess what - I was finally able to schedule him this past Thursday afternoon. We did this at THE Schottenstien Center at OSU. They allow caregivers to come with and so I did. FIrst time I've been allowed to be with him since over a year ago. The good Dr who administered to my husband was also kind enough to do me too. I was scheduled for Friday morning but we were able to cancel that one. We'll get our 2nd mid March, together again too. 

What a great feeling it is to get our vaccine. I do hope if you are skepital, please don't be. Get this one done. No pain at all for either of us.

Honored Contributor

I'm  not comfortable with mass vaccinations given by volunteers. That sort of set up inevitably leads to issues.

They should have begun with the pre-planned distribution of the annual flu vaccine rather than trying to make up a whole new plan. Established pharmacies have people signed up and are not receiving the vaccine they were promised.

Honored Contributor

i would hate to be one of the state politicians with the responsibility for apportioning out the vaccine for that state because without an adequate supply for the majority of those who want the vaccine, who need the vaccine, who think they should be ahead if someone else, etc,. Is it any wonder all of them are under fire?

I have my own opinion why we are in the mess that we are, but like many opinions, it wouldn’t improve the situation so I am not sharing it.

Honored Contributor

So if you suddenly took up smoking for a day you could get your vaccination? I sense a loophole. Hope they have some sort of guidelines about this.

Reminds me of the two women who dressed up as grannies to try  to scam their second shot.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr