Frequent Contributor

Re: Do You Ever Wonder How You Know How to Spell Some Words?

@Kachina624

My mother was a music teacher and she believed when schools stopped teaching phonics was the beginning of poor grammar, spelling, reading, etc...  I was very fortunate to have a mother that cared enough and knew enough to constantly correct my grammar and when I asked "how do you spell..." her reply was "sound it out".

Unfortunately as someone so eloquently explained above my ability to know when and where to put comas, end a sentence, or start a new paragraph are seriously lacking!  I don't know if I was able to do it correctly when I was younger or not.

I used to be a good speller and got A's in spelling and English, but as I've aged (can always blame things on that 😇), and my job didn't require a lot of writing I didn't use those skills much and have lost them especially spelling.  I think with spell check and texting the need for correct spelling is a lost art. I'm amazed at how many words I don't remember how to spell!

I have an old friend that didn't get much education and her spelling is so poor she is unable to pick the correct spelling when writing an email out of the several suggestions spell check offers. 

A dear friend Rina took care of me during a long, debilitating illness, her sister Bessie was completely illiterate.  She was bilingual but couldn't read or write a thing. It was so sad.  Bessie helped out once in awhile and a couple of times I sent her to the store. I would tell her the few items I needed as reading a list was out and her shame and embarrassment while understandable kept her from asking for help then I'd hand her my debit/credit card. Rina had to explain that Bessie could not use the card as she couldn't read the card reader to know how to use it! Even knowIng she was illiterate I didn't think of how the simplest things impacted her life dramatically!  I asked Bessie how she did her grocery shopping, how did she know the difference between flour and sugar or baby formula and Draino?  She said she always bought what her mother bought and remembered the picture, or how the package looked. She adapted by having a good memory and paying close attention. At times Rina went with her and explained "this is..." so she'd know next time. Once Rina was unable to accompany her and her kids to the doctor.  Bessie tried to remember where Rina put check marks on initial forms so she marked the boxes she thought Rina had as she was too ashamed to ask for help.  She ended up calling Rina from the doctor in hysterics saying the baby has cancer and diabetes.  Rina rushed down and it turned out Bessie had checked the boxes saying the baby had those diseases.  

Needless to say I am eternally grateful I am able to read, speak properly for the most part, am able to sound out words to try to spell them correctly and use spell check. 😀 😇

Thanks mom, I love you and miss you always!   💚

BTW the names I used are not their real names.  I know I got a little off the subject. Lastly I hope I didn't come off as a snob!!!!  I just wanted to explain how fortunate we are to have the skills we have and give you insight into how illiteracy deeply impacts those dealing with it.  Most learn ways to adapt to the difficulties they face and should be commended.

Thank you for letting me share.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt I don't think anyone calls it a frig (rhymes with big).  That's just their way of spelling fridge.  Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@libbyannE  It's not just the number of errors seen on a daily basis, it WHERE you see them.  I see misspelled words in everything from newspapers to billboards, places where people certainly should know better.

@Kachina624

There's a TV ad, I believe an insurance or financial company that has the last sentence with the last word ending in "eee," one more "e" than required.  I can't believe that would get by an editor or proofreader. 

I wish I could remember which ad it is, if I see it again, I'll post it here.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986