Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Ever Wonder How You Know How to Spell Some Words?

Wow, Annabelle!   You might just think more than I do.  hehe Smiley Wink

I don't.  I just feel like they were engrained to such an extent early  on that they just stuck.   Now that I'm losing my memory (and to some degree my mind), I wonder if I will stop remembering how to spell words.  Sometimes I do get confused now and things elude me but spelling hasn't been one of them (yet).

Plus, if I feel like I'm not sure I generally will just Google the word.  That works great because if you aren't right, and are close, it will offer you the correct spelling.  Smiley Happy   Love da Google!

Honored Contributor

Try as I may I can not convince my college educated husband the difference between Their and there . I've given up.

Respected Contributor

@Preds Mine's in the attic but my brain can't find it!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Loose instead of lose.

Esteemed Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

affect and effect, affect to influence and effect means results

These are two words that are often interchanged incorrectly.  It is an error I can overlook.  

But when someone says "I seen" or "she done", well, that just makes my skin crawl.  

Honored Contributor

I think 98% of the people who use the word "literally", use it incorrectly.  The should be using "virtually" instead.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I'm 70 this year.  I had amazing teachers throughout school.  How do I know this?  Well because somehow I know when to spell the word "boar" , bore, boor" or their, they're, there?

I could go on, but I'm wondering if other's here think (or wonder) how you just know the difference.  Perhaps you struggle on which word to use or how to spell it.

I've often heard the English language (the correct grammar) is one of the most difficult to learn.  When you delve deep into it (the language) I can see where it would be difficult.  As a student of the English language, it often frustrates me when I hear "ain't" used.

What are some of the words you mix up or have to think about (spelling especially) before you type it?  I'm curious.  Thanks ahead of time.

I'm a few years older than you, but I know exactly what you mean.  Drives me crazy when people don't get your and you're correct.  I sometimes have trouble w/affect and effect.  And if I don't know the exact meaning of a word, I look it up before I use it. 

Another one is when that is used instead of who when describing a person......as in "the man that went to the store" instead of the "man who went to the store". We were taught "that" modifies a thing, "who" modifies a person.

Another one is using apostrophes when they aren't supposed to be used.  Oh well, I'm an English nut......got straight As.  No apostrophe Smiley Happy

Thanks for your interesting post Smiley Happy

I'm in my 70s also but I usually do not have a problem using English correctly.  Sometimes my typing or auto-correct does not agree, but I spot errors fairly easily.

One of my jobs was writing letters that had to be correctly written and correctly typed.  I would sweat blood on those last paragraphs because typing was not my best job.  Most of my typing was in columns or I had to add or substract and then type the answer. 

P.S.  Don't check this for errors because "I never make misteaks."

Honored Contributor

These are a few words I spell wrong all the time initially and I have to double check myself...

occasions...for example, I don't know why, I always want to spell it occassions

equipment

outrageous

Esteemed Contributor

If it is a big word that I don't use often, and I am not really certain it is correct, I will open a browser and type it in Google.  

Google spells correctly every time!

Esteemed Contributor

I use to be wonderful at spelling...Honestly, I have a friend who would call me and ask me how to spell words all the time. Made me feel sooo smart.

Then, I had some trouble...2 brain surgeries....My husband still asks me how to things occaisonally, but I just don't have what I use to. Its ok though, I am here.