Honored Contributor

Even though I have been divorced, my current husband and I have been together 38 years. I call that a long happy time together and hopefully many more to follow. People can have a happy life!

Honored Contributor

Divorce isn't rare today but that's a lot of divorces.  It's just  coincidence.  For many years, there were no divorces in my family and inner circle.  I'd read about divorce rates and I would think "that can't be true".   I had one uncle who divorced when I was a kid but that was it.  And then suddenly; it was like there was a divorce epidemic around us.  Friends, neighbors, people we knew from church, my brother.  I think divorce is more common  now that women work and have their own incomes and people have smaller families and people want to be happy.  They don't want to suffer in a bad marriage when there is no reason to stay married.  Everyone knows now that a bad marriage is emotionally harmful to children so people don't stay together "for the children" anymore.  What really surprises me is the increasing number of people do don't bother to get married.  They are as commited and as any married couple and they have families and build lives together, they just don't get married.    

Respected Contributor

My husband and I have been married 57 years. Tomorrow is our anniversary. I was nineteen and he was twenty. Were we too young? Yes we were. My father didn’t want me to marry so young. He was 42 when he married. My mother was 11 years younger. Trust me they both enjoyed their single years. I have one brother.

So did we make the right choice for us——Yes.

Valued Contributor

Not to be argumentative, but I don't buy into the not-married-but-committed myth. I don't think they are as committed.  In fact, they aren't.  The research is clear.

Marry or don't.  There's no shortcut. 

Honored Contributor
I don't think it is only in your circle of friends that so many are divorced. Same for me. When I was still working, there was a staff of 78 in our bldg. Mostly all women. Did a quick count one time, and 58 had been divorced. That is a huge number to me!
Honored Contributor

My parents divorced when I was only two years old with two older siblings ages 4 and 8...this was back in the late 50's.....divorcees, as they were called then, were not allowed to even joined the PTA at my school, there was such a stigma. My best friend, who was Catholic, was no longer allowed to play with me when her mother discovered my parents were divorced. Am so glad the stigma is not as it used to be. My mother was my dad's first wife....he left us for another woman....who would be the 2nd of 5 wives he would have.

Honored Contributor

This year we celebrated our 50th anniversary. But enough about that. :-)

I am glad that divorce is pretty much no longer some kind of bad mark, and I'm glad that it is easier to achieve. I also have no problem with those who are partners but not in a legal sense.

There are many ways to exist in this world.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

For those who haven't gone through a divorce, bless you. For those of us who have, many of us worked hard at our marriage with the person we thought was our soul-mate - and we were devastated when we discovered our "soul-mate" wasn't that person at all. It's a horrible thing to go through and it can affect you for years. And no, most of us are not "superficial and flaky"....I can't imagine that anyone would even think or say something like that.

Super Contributor

Thank you for all of your replies. I found your posts very interesting

Trusted Contributor

My dh told me that in his entire family, the only ones to never divorce were him and I and his aunt and uncle...🙄 

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it