Honored Contributor

Discover Card Free Monitoring Through Experian

[ Edited ]

I was offered free monitoring and alerts from Discover Card using Experian.  There was no one-year time limit on the free monitoring.  I signed up - I've been with Discover card for 30 years and think it's a fine company and trust them more than I trust Equifax to monitor my account and send me alerts. Of course, Discover already has my SS number .

From the Terms:

Discover Identity Alerts provide you with: (a) daily monitoring of your Experian® credit report and an alert when a new account is listed on your report; (b) daily monitoring of thousands of risky websites known for revealing personal information and an alert if your Social Security Number on is found on such a website. We will automatically enroll the Social Security Number associated with the Primary credit cardmember for the website monitoring.
This information is intended for, and only provided to, Primary credit cardmembers whose accounts are open, in good standing and have an email address on file. The Primary cardmember must agree online to receive identity alerts and those alerts will be delivered to the primary email address on file. Identity alert services are based on Experian® information and data which may differ from information and data at other credit bureaus.
Discover is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Discover Card Free Monitoring Through Experion

@Pearlee That's great.I'm a Discover card holder too.I will call them & see if they would extend the offer to me as well. Does that monitoring include all 3 bureaus or just Experian?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ  From my understanding it's just Experian.

I was sent an email offer for it but accidentally deleted the email, so I called Discover to see where on the site I could find it.  Here's how.  Use just the regular discover.com email addy but add   /freealerts  to the addy.  (that's a slash and then freealerts).  It'll take you right to it.

That's what I used to sign up just now - I saw the same offer there and the terms as the one emailed to me.  The one emailed to me though, in the text of the email said to read the terms and to be advised that the terms could change.  That was a big red flag to me to check the terms at least once a month to see if they aren't later going to impose a charge.  The CS person at Discover told me they wouldn't if I sign up for free for it now...but you never know.

Honored Contributor

yes, i have it through discover and through creditkarma.

i have to check some of my other credit cards also.

i am not signing up for anything through equifax.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  Thanks.  I signed up for it through Discover... why not?

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Pearlee  Thanks.  I signed up for it through Discover... why not?

@SeaMaiden  That's pretty much what I thought!

Honored Contributor

Re: Discover Card Free Monitoring Through Experian

You probably will get many more emails from companies affiliated with Discover though.  My friend had signed up with Discover and that is what happened.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

You probably will get many more emails from companies affiliated with Discover though.  My friend had signed up with Discover and that is what happened.

That is OK.  I get so many emails everyday a few more  will be fine

Honored Contributor

I've been a Discover card holder for years.  Never receive e-mails from them.  Signed up for their credit monitoring last weekend.  No e-mails thus far.

Honored Contributor

the only time i get emails from discover is when my payment is due, when my payment has been credited to my account, and for their special cash back bonus offers that run every three months. i have my contact settings set for these.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein