Esteemed Contributor

Re: Different ways of getting Usps home delivery

We have had those cluster mailboxes in the last two houses we've lived in, the first one close to 40 years ago.  It seems when they build new neighborhoods they put those in.  Once you get used to it is no issue.  The problem in the area we live is mail has a tendency to get stolen so unless I had the kind of mailbox from when I was little, with a slot in the door and the mail carrier dropping the mail into the house, I prefer the cluster box with a key.  Not that those don't get broken into, they do, you need to get your mail out every day, but it isn't as easy as just walking along or driving and taking it from the box.  

As far as it getting difficult with aging or weather, many people just stop by when driving home and get their mail.  Ours have always just been across the street so easy for me to run over and grab it.

Valued Contributor

Some cluster mailboxes are designed so the carrier has to unlock the wall in sections each having it's own lock.  A thief might have the time and know how to crack open only one section.   I've seen a wall of mailboxes that had been broken into and it happened just like that. Some sections broken into while other sections left alone. 

I've also seen a mail carrier forget to lock up a section before driving away in his truck.  Once a section is left open and all you have to do is swing it open at the hinge. I was on my walk and pointed it out to the carrier who went back and corrected his mistake. 

I had to contain my annoyance, believe me it was very hard to do remembering that people are not perfect and do make mistakes, remembering that many carriers are former military and the need to be kind and forgiving at all times.....      

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt  I absolutely hate junkmail too, and LOVE the idea of cameras at the mailboxes!😊👍👍

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Super Contributor

I'm so happy that here at my mid hi-rise condomium place that we now have the Amazon hub for package deliveries.  At first the USPS didn't like dealing with it and would just leave everything at the front desk (even when closed) but now I see they're receptive to scanning in our packages.  Even UPS will do it now too where before they didn't want to be bothered either.  lol  

Esteemed Contributor

Been a long time since I had it delivered to the door.  In the last house it was a cluster and here I don't have a street address, just a road turnoff for 911.  I have a PO Box and have not dared go since mid March, so the good news it should be safe.

Honored Contributor

The locking feature of the cluster boxes is a good thing.  Even better if there are security cameras aimed at them.  I'm not sure if they'll do that at my new home 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@september 

It isn’t about being fair. You have the boxes in a specific location because it is faster and more economical for the USPS that way.

I was talking to someone who works at a community recently and they have a new section of home being built right now. We noticed that the new section has a wall of boxes in a central location while older sections of the community have individual mail boxes st the end of their driveways. The USPS won’t do them anymore. It is faster for them with a wall. 

I would not like to have to pick up my mail at a wall of boxes. That said. I normally have my mail delivered to a private post office because I work full time and don’t want things delivered to my home where they would sit in the hot sun all day or possible be stolen. I have to drive somewhere to pick up my mail. And that was my own decision.

@willdob3   Yes, of course I know it's faster for the carrier to deliver the mail to a cluster of boxes.  They're doing this now, to save money and I get that.  

Yet, they're still delivering mail to porches in other neighborhoods and that must be the slowest method possible.  I'm wondering if they'll stop that at some point, or if those neighborhoods will forever be grandfathered in. 

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@september  when I lived in Florida, my mailbox was on the porch. Didn´t even hsave to step out. Just open the front door and put my hand in the mail box. 

Hope you aren´t too far. Some of the residents would drive to get their because they live a few blocks over from the boxes.

It wouldn't be far for me, since I'm moving into one of the newer homes.  The ones that are built over the next few years, will be further away 

And, I make it a point to walk as much as I can, every day.  that's my situation today.  When I'm much older....I might be grumping about not getting the mail delivered to my door, which will probably be what my nearby brother will still enjoy, if the current system continues 

My husband wants to move into a house without stairs because he says when we get older we won't be able to do stairs. I tell him some days it's the most exercise I get. I can't see myself being too old for it. Of course it doesn't help at all that 1 year ago I fell down the stairs while he was in another country and broke my arm in several places. 

I look at the mailbox the same way. The walk is good for me. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@september 

It isn’t about being fair. You have the boxes in a specific location because it is faster and more economical for the USPS that way.

I was talking to someone who works at a community recently and they have a new section of home being built right now. We noticed that the new section has a wall of boxes in a central location while older sections of the community have individual mail boxes st the end of their driveways. The USPS won’t do them anymore. It is faster for them with a wall. 

I would not like to have to pick up my mail at a wall of boxes. That said. I normally have my mail delivered to a private post office because I work full time and don’t want things delivered to my home where they would sit in the hot sun all day or possible be stolen. I have to drive somewhere to pick up my mail. And that was my own decision.

@willdob3   Yes, of course I know it's faster for the carrier to deliver the mail to a cluster of boxes.  They're doing this now, to save money and I get that.  

Yet, they're still delivering mail to porches in other neighborhoods and that must be the slowest method possible.  I'm wondering if they'll stop that at some point, or if those neighborhoods will forever be grandfathered in. 

@september  I think it is poor service to have a wall of boxes instead of delivering to the home. But, I suspect that they will probably eventually switch other communities to the same kind of boxes to save more money anywhere they can. It isn’t something they can do everywhere.