Esteemed Contributor

Re: Different ways of getting Usps home delivery

@september  when I lived in Florida, my mailbox was on the porch. Didn´t even hsave to step out. Just open the front door and put my hand in the mail box. 

Hope you aren´t too far. Some of the residents would drive to get their because they live a few blocks over from the boxes.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@september,  how do you define "fair"?

I think the only thing that would be "fair" to all is to require everyone to get their mail from a central location like the nearest post office.

Of course that wouldn't necessarily be fair since I might pnly live a block from the post office while others might have to drive miles.

I dont think that would work AT ALL!!!  I can just imagine the huge lines of people waiting to pick up their mail...especially people that work during the week, so this would create a large number of people crammed into the post office trying to pick up mail on a Saturday....And we got a SMALL sample of that when someone broke into our cluster mailboxes ihn our subdivision and everyone had to go to the post office to pick up mail until the boxes were repaired....and that was nightmare!!!!  And it took forever for the Post Office employee to find each person's mail....And since I have Informed Delivery I told her some mail was missing so she went back and checked, sure enough here came some more mail.....so they didnt even do a very good and look very hard for the mail.  People would have to give up their valuable weekend time to stand in line to pick up mail!!!----I dont think that would set very well with people.... 

@Spurt   People who pick up mail at the post office, don't stand in lines. They go to their boxes.  

mine is open 24 hours/day, every day 

Honored Contributor

Most of the newer tract housing has centralized mail boxes.  I have a mail box across the street now but when I lived in Southern CA I had a mail slot in my front door - I loved that.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@september  when I lived in Florida, my mailbox was on the porch. Didn´t even hsave to step out. Just open the front door and put my hand in the mail box. 

Hope you aren´t too far. Some of the residents would drive to get their because they live a few blocks over from the boxes.

It wouldn't be far for me, since I'm moving into one of the newer homes.  The ones that are built over the next few years, will be further away 

And, I make it a point to walk as much as I can, every day.  that's my situation today.  When I'm much older....I might be grumping about not getting the mail delivered to my door, which will probably be what my nearby brother will still enjoy, if the current system continues 

Honored Contributor

@september 

The mail man would have to walk his route and carry all the mail or push it in cart to deliver it to your front door instead of driving a mail truck to a central location.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@september 

The mail man would have to walk his route and carry all the mail or push it in cart to deliver it to your front door instead of driving a mail truck to a central location.  

@DiAnne    Yes, I think this is only still done in older neighborhoods, like where my brother lives?  

In my 30+ years of living in Ca, in three different areas, all deliveries were via a mail truck that pulled up to a curb side box.   They avoided getting out of that truck whenever possible. (I know they had time restrictions). Huge packages stuffed into our boxes!

Honored Contributor

I think it's been many, many years since the post office allowed end-of-driveway mailboxes.  My entire town is less than 30 years old and only the oldest houses have that arrangement. 

The carrier never exerts himself to the point of bringing anything to the door even he he sees you and knows you're home.  It's easier to make you drive 4 miles to the post office, park and wait in a long line to pick it up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@september,  how do you define "fair"?

I think the only thing that would be "fair" to all is to require everyone to get their mail from a central location like the nearest post office.

Of course that wouldn't necessarily be fair since I might pnly live a block from the post office while others might have to drive miles.

I dont think that would work AT ALL!!!  I can just imagine the huge lines of people waiting to pick up their mail...especially people that work during the week, so this would create a large number of people crammed into the post office trying to pick up mail on a Saturday....And we got a SMALL sample of that when someone broke into our cluster mailboxes ihn our subdivision and everyone had to go to the post office to pick up mail until the boxes were repaired....and that was nightmare!!!!  And it took forever for the Post Office employee to find each person's mail....And since I have Informed Delivery I told her some mail was missing so she went back and checked, sure enough here came some more mail.....so they didnt even do a very good and look very hard for the mail.  People would have to give up their valuable weekend time to stand in line to pick up mail!!!----I dont think that would set very well with people.... 

@Spurt   People who pick up mail at the post office, don't stand in lines. They go to their boxes.  

mine is open 24 hours/day, every day 

@september 

If you pay and rent a box thats true....but if something happens to your mailbox cluster like a thief trying to break into mailboxes ....then you DO stand in line....thats what we had to do...And with USPS's financial state I doubt if they would give up the rent and give those mail boxes out for free.....so its pay or stand in line...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think it's been many, many years since the post office allowed end-of-driveway mailboxes.  My entire town is less than 30 years old and only the oldest houses have that arrangement. 

The carrier never exerts himself to the point of bringing anything to the door even he he sees you and knows you're home.  It's easier to make you drive 4 miles to the post office, park and wait in a long line to pick it up.

@Kachina624 

LOL...thats so true Kachina....  

But I guess with the Corona Virus they forced the post office employees to be good citizens and accommodate customers, because when they closed our condo mail center due to Corona then we had a choice on how we wanted packages to be delivered.....we could select door to door delivery, or pick up at the post office, I went to their website and selected door to door delivery, but it still said at the discretion of the post office employee....So I was SHOCKED when 2 USPS packages (both from QVC--1 one was a t-shirt, and one was candle rings from Valerie Parr Hill---both very light packages) were actually delivered to my door!!!!! ....But I wasn't so lucky with the third....the weather had gotten hot so he didnt want to make the extra trip to my house, so he CRAMMED my LUG purse into my small mailbox.....Woman Frustrated  Oh well, whats the line from that song...."two outta 3 aint bad"....Woman Mad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt   I see your point now. I'm temporarily renting a PO box until my home is finished.  If I have a package, they put a key in the box and I get my package out of a locker.  I've only had to get in line when I've had something delivered that needed a signature.  

I didn't learn about the cluster boxes until I went for my final site visit a few days ago.  As I was leaving, I asked the builder " when does my mail box go in?"  

Lol!   😂.  Mailboxes are a thing of the past!