Honored Contributor

Different faces, different voices.

While I felt bad for the hosts that were let go, it didn't mean much to me, except Stacey. I'm mostly an online .Q shopper. However, just recently I've noticed several radio personalities, and some sports commentators have also been shown the door.  Ad revenues are down and I guess companies try anything new, and probably cheaper to shore up their bottom line. I'm a long time lover of radio, and with streaming I  can get all kinds of stations, but some voices I will miss. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: Different faces, different voices.

We’ve had local radio personalities lose jobs in my city too. People were particularly upset at iHeart radio letting go a local sports guy who’s been calling local college games for at least 30 years. He’s around 60 years old, loves his job, and had no plans to retire. Very sad. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The bottom line is always money (unless the person did something heinous).   In big companies I worked for, when budget cuts had to be made they brought in an outside consultant to look at the entire organization, and that person(s) made recommendations where cuts would be the most cost effective.  

I think it's easier that way for the company heads.  The outside consultant isn't looking at PEOPLE...they just look at positions and costs.  

Honored Contributor

ESPN cancelled my favorite morning sports radio/TV show, ESPN's Golic & Wingo......this was a fun entertaining show where they talked sports and some fun odds & ends topics too ----a little bit about food, movies, TV shows....NO POLITICS (which I liked immensely---I went there to get a brief escape from that stuff) ......But apparently ESPN wants to become MSESPN and talk mostly politics and very little sports. .....

Thankfully Golic Sr was kept for play by play for college games...Golic JR was assigned an afternoon show with another co-host (brush upon your politics)....But Trey Wingo's in limbo, his contract is up in November, And NFL Live's Wendy Nix is also in limbo as welll... I bet they end up getting rid of them---sad.... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Some may be surprised to know, that even in the midst of a nursing shortage, prior to COVID, many nurses have currently lost their jobs, too, or have been furloughed. This impact is going to linger.  

RN's of certain specialty areas aren't equipped to transition to bedside COVID care, when their unit is no longer accepting patients, or their census is down. Employees are victims of crunching numbers, nothing more.  

No work is guaranteed anymore across all fields, included the Q.  All we can hope for is that we'll gain control of the current crisis and things will begin to stabilize.  We'll see lots of different faces throughout the transition.  Sadly, it's our new normal.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt I used to listen to Greenburg and Golic every morning on the way to work. Golic was always my favorite. Wingo did a good job when Greenie moved on. Glad Mike Sr will be kept on and Mike Jr will too.  ESPN is hemorrhaging viewers and messing with drive time is a big mistake.  

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

ESPN cancelled my favorite morning sports radio/TV show, ESPN's Golic & Wingo......this was a fun entertaining show where they talked sports and some fun odds & ends topics too ----a little bit about food, movies, TV shows....NO POLITICS (which I liked immensely---I went there to get a brief escape from that stuff) ......But apparently ESPN wants to become MSESPN and talk mostly politics and very little sports. .....

Thankfully Golic Sr was kept for play by play for college games...Golic JR was assigned an afternoon show with another co-host (brush upon your politics)....But Trey Wingo's in limbo, his contract is up in November, And NFL Live's Wendy Nix is also in limbo as welll... I bet they end up getting rid of them---sad.... 

@Spurt , This was one of the shows I was referring to. I really like Trey Wingo, and I think they will regret losing him, but what do I know.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mspatmac wrote:

@Spurt I used to listen to Greenburg and Golic every morning on the way to work. Golic was always my favorite. Wingo did a good job when Greenie moved on. Glad Mike Sr will be kept on and Mike Jr will too.  ESPN is hemorrhaging viewers and messing with drive time is a big mistake.  

@mspatmac   @QVCkitty1 

Like you I started with Greeny & Golic on Mike & Mike.....Golic Sr is more down to earth. The Golics seem to be a very nice close family. And they love their dogs! There was a tremendous outpouring of support on Twitter for Mike Sr.....from fans and athletes alike....

Greeny wanted to talk news & politics and have a more serious show .....  never did like Greeny's new show Get Up (watched it 2 times that was enough) and I followed Golic Sr to his show where I became a faithful viewer--I did like Trey too...And he did a great job on NFL Live and the NFL Draft too...

If reports are true and Trey got tired of the morning gig (no pun intended) they should have just moved Jason Fitz who subbed a lot for Trey over to that spot and continued the show....

Its crazy how viewers keep telling ESPN who they like and what they want to see/hear on ESPN, but the Execs  dont listen and their ratings are suffering because of it.....The nauseous Keyshawn Johnson who couldnt even last on Monday Night Football is taking over along with Jay Williams and some guy I never heard of....Good Luck with that ESPN....you'll need it!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

@mspatmac   @QVCkitty1 

Like you I started with Greeny & Golic on Mike & Mike.....Golic Sr is more down to earth. The Golics seem to be a very nice close family. And they love their dogs! There was a tremendous outpouring of support on Twitter for Mike Sr.....from fans and athletes alike....

Greeny wanted to talk news & politics and have a more serious show .....  never did like Greeny's new show Get Up (watched it 2 times that was enough) and I followed Golic Sr to his show where I became a faithful viewer--I did like Trey too...And he did a great job on NFL Live and the NFL Draft too...

If reports are true and Trey got tired of the morning gig (no pun intended) they should have just moved Jason Fitz who subbed a lot for Trey over to that spot and continued the show....

Its crazy how viewers keep telling ESPN who they like and what they want to see/hear on ESPN, but the Execs  dont listen and their ratings are suffering because of it.....The nauseous Keyshawn Johnson who couldnt even last on Monday Night Football is taking over along with Jay Williams and some guy I never heard of....Good Luck with that ESPN....you'll need it!!!

I can't stand Greenberg, he is an obnoxious know it all. 

Daniel Patrick Moynihan