Honored Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

My life turned out better than I expected in spite of myself. Nothing bragworthy-just happy. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

@MorningLover, my thoughts, exactly! 

Honored Contributor

Well I didn't have great expectations, and my college degree didn't correspond to my job of 37 years. What I did know is that I would support myself, never smoke or do drugs, and I would only marry someone whose beliefs meshed with mine. Those things contributed to a low key life with very little drama. I guess my only regret is that I never built a new home from a floor plan I personally picked out. To this day, I'd like to build an efficient home under 800 square feet near one of the beautiful lakes Wisconsin and Upper Michigan have to offer. I think @151949 had to cope/deal with so much tragedy but kept persevering.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG It has made me strong.

Trusted Contributor

My life turned out just the way that I hoped, with one major exception.  I never thought that we would struggle financially for so many years. We worked hard, sometimes more than one job each, but had some rough patches that drained what savings we had.  Life is much more secure now, thank God 😇.

Respected Contributor

Actually, no. I knew I would be an independent woman and have a journalism career with much travel. And I did. The surprise was getting married at 24! I always figured I would establish myself in my career and not marry til my 30s. God, Spirit, The Universe, whatever you call it had better ideas! I had the great career AND have had a long, happy marriage, too. Could I be any more fortunate? Great parents and step -parents, wonderful childhood, career, and partnership with my wonderful husband! It's humbling. Why me? No idea.... I am more than grateful every day. (Have there been major challenges along the way? Yes. A chronic illness misdiagnosed for 15 years and agonizing loss of an adored step-parent  in a car accident among them, but I know life gives everyone their own major challenges. Not everyone is as surrounded by love  as I have been, though. Again, why me? Maybe God thought I needed a lot of help?

Honored Contributor

I don’t know what I really expected, but I love the life I’m living, and feel truly blessed.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes!...I'm now going to leave you all hanging and wondering!...LOL

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

Totally unexpected. I did become a RN as expected but I always thought I would get married and have kids. That never happened. I ended up in a very bad long term relationship and was just set free 6 years ago. I am not sure where my life will go now but it isn't over until it is over. I have had a very full life in my career, I never thought that I would 

Respected Contributor

Did you adopt his kids, and did they treat you kindly after their father passed away ?