Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

@patbz wrote:

Thought I'd graduate from college with my "MRS" degree, never leave DC area, work for government and live happily ever after.  Instead I immediately started travelling overseas while working there, getting married at 40, living in CA desert, having baby at 45.  Now 74, live in AZ mtns and travel plenty (50 states, 76 countries).

Also fond of traveling and consider it a part of education. Confident your marriage and family life are much more solid than if you had the MRS degree at 22! Great post. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

It's been a great ride since graduating mid-term (early Jan. 1966)! In high school, my goals were all about graduating early and going on to the University. Would hope my life has turned out differently. Doubt I had even thought of marriage or children. Travel and a career were uppermost in my goals. Marriage was filled with love, respect and shared fun. We thoroughly enjoyed parenting our son and I immediately became a stay-at-home mom to my amazement! We moved yearly in the first 10 years of our marriage which was a great experience in efficiency, buying and selling homes, meeting new people, and entertaininng on a moments notice. Returning to our hometown was a good decision for our family, husband's business opportunity, my health issues and good friends. We have worked hard to meet our goals and been blessed throughout our entire lives. As a widow, I'm so fortunate to enjoy my son, DIL and grandson often. Who could ask for more? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I never would have expected to be where I am today, although thinking back, I'm not really sure I had anything specific in mind.  I've never been extremely ambitious, although I've done alright for myself.  However, looking back I can see that with just a little more encouragement I could have achieved a whole lot more.  In my time and place, not a whole lot was expected of me and big dreams were discouraged.  I blame no one but myself and have learned from my mistakes.

Respected Contributor

When I was in high school, all I wanted to do was marry my boyfriend and raise a family.

Earlier this month we celebrated our 47th anniversary.  Our son and his wife have blessed us with the world's greatest grandchildren.

Life is good.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes it did,but for the better.I went to college & graduated with honors.My goal was to work a year,live home,save money & then fulfill my dream of going to law school.

The first day on my new job I met this incredible man.He had a masters degree but because of affirmative action could not get a job in his field.He was broke & living from paycheck to paycheck.

We hit it off right away.Two years later we married.Today 37 years later we are more in love than ever.We raised an incredible son.I gave up going to law school to marry & my carrier to be a stay at home mom & have no regrets.

When we got married we had no money.DH told me that if I married him he’d spend the rest of his life working hard to take care of me. Well he more than kept his promise.He has given my son & I an excellent life.We are very comfortable & I don’t lack for anything.

Although my life is different than originally imagined it’s so much better.I feel so blessed to have taken this life journey with my DH & best friend!!

Honored Contributor

I never thought I would meet my husband being so young and marry as young as I did.   I met my now husband when I was 16 years old and we dated for 6 years until marrying when I was 22.

My college path was a lot harder due to my father's unexpected illness and death when I was a sophomore and my mother's illness with cancer 2 years after my father died. 

I got a job in my field immediately upon graduation.  I detested the job but it was a necessary evil because it allowed me the experience and connections to move on to my next job. 

My mom became ill again with a second cancer diagnosis so while working full-time, I was also caring for my mom who passed away when I was 27. 

Dh and I bought my family home and moved in, something we never expected to do.  We had planned on buying land and building a house out in the country. 

DH and I are still married and will celebrate our 28th wedding anniverary this year.  My mom was never happy about the fact I began dating someone so young and was marrying him while still in school but I'm sure she's looking down and is happy with the way things turned out.

I never had kids, but I never wanted any.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva My DH & I dated all through junior high & high school then broke up the summer after high school. 4 years after my first husband died  I married my old school boyfriend. I think that sometimes God has something in a plan for us but we mess it up, however, eventually he always gets his way.

Esteemed Contributor

I had no expectations when I was in high school of how my life would turn out.  Good thing.  I probably would be very disappointed.  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal

In the corporate arena, I championed many and protected quite a few from mean situations.  I became sought after there as someone who developed others and enabled them to reach their potential.  I was the first boss for a woman who is a current CEO of and international corporate.  We have reconnected and I am overwhelmed by her attributing her success to me.

In the outplacement arena, I always felt as though it was a ministry.  Not only helping folks in career search but indirectly touching their families and ultimately the searcher’s future coworkers ( more empathetic).

In the academic world, helping to shape young women so that they had the confidence to think and speak out for themselves and others.

Giving back is the keystone for all that I do:  time, talent and treasure.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@jeanlake

Forgiveness is a gift that in giving to others, gives back to us our freedom to truly live and explore possibilities.

You are truly blessed !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill