Respected Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

Yes, I always wanted to be a teacher.  My elementary school even had a group called "Future Teachers" and they would have 2 girls from the group go to a classroom if a teacher was out, while waiting for the substitute to get there.  In high school I still planned to go to a teacher's college afterwards, but way back then it seemed if you had a serious boyfriend then you'd get married and not go to college.  The boyfriend went into the Army, I started working in an office and realized I was too young to be tied down when there were so many other nice guys out there.  So, I broke up with him.  He wound up marrying the girlfriend he had before me.  And when I think about it, my parents and I never really did figure out how we were going to pay for college anyway.  I've taken classes here and there at community colleges but never got a degree.           

Honored Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

I'm so enjoying reading these stories! I feel like we're all sitting around the deck on a nice summer night with a glass of wine - or soda - sharing stories - by the water of course! I want to give all of you a collective HUG!

As for me, OH YES!

I always loved school and I always wanted to teach, and I got to do that.  I wasn't planning to marry quite as early as I did, but I met DH the summer after college, and I fell in love! 

But the one thing I can say is I would not change a thing. DH and I have both always LOVED what we do for a living, and have taught our children to always give 100% to whatever you are doing in life. We are blessed.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Three things turned out as planned.:

1.  Got married.

2.  Had a kid.

3.  Did NOT turn into my evil mother.

Aside from that, my life turned up-side-down, education and career-wise, monetarily and other-wise.  Unfortunately, no do-overs allowed.

I'm beyond retirement and am working hard to start a new business - a must, not a love.

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Totally unexpected. I did become a RN as expected but I always thought I would get married and have kids. That never happened. I ended up in a very bad long term relationship and was just set free 6 years ago. I am not sure where my life will go now but it isn't over until it is over. I have had a very full life in my career, I never thought that I would 

===========

Set free? Those are confusing words. My assumption is that you were working because you mentioned having a nursing degree. If someone was holding you captive like those poor girls in Ohio a few years ago, I would hope you communicated your fears @conlt. I'm glad you got away.

Trusted Contributor

Great question.......I thought I’d get married much younger than I did and I thought I’d have my kids much younger..I had a lot more medical issues than I thought I’d have...seeing that my childhood was a very healthy one, but all in all it turned out pretty darn well😀

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

My life turned out better than I hoped for. My personal goals were met as far as education and career went. My husband and children turned out to be more than I ever hoped for, based on seeing so many friends "settle" for someone in their marriage and having so many problems with their children...or have lost husband or children young.The health of everyone in my family so far is better than I hoped for. We are comfortable financially. Of course, there have been a few bumps in the road, like everyone has. However, you never know what tomorrow is going to bring. One illness or accident could wipe out family and most of your money. I sometimes think that things are going too smoothly and that our luck is going to change. I just thank G-d everyday for allowing us to have what we have had thus far. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I grew up never knowing what to expect.  That hasn’t changed.

I didn’t expect to go to college but somehow I went off to a university at 17.  Since I hadn’t really planned for this, I chose a major that was interesting – at 17.  My classmates always complained that they were forced to major in a subject their parents had chosen for them or that their parents didn’t approve of the one they had chosen for themselves.

I thought I was fortunate because my parents hadn’t objected to my choice: Theatre/Film.  I didn’t realize until I was nearing graduation that they had never expected me to last six weeks in college.  I added an English major, an Art minor and a teaching credential.

Then, shortly before my graduation, my stepfather died on my mother’s birthday.  My sister insisted I return home once I had my degree and I never pursued a teaching position.  There was a recession and jobs were scarce.  I stood in a long line to be considered for a minimum wage spot: Opening a new bookstore.  I still believe I was hired because I said I’d be willing to take out the garbage.

When the store was ready to open I stayed on to work in it and later managed it.  I was there a little over a year and shrugged off comments that I was wasting my education.  My coworkers all had advanced degrees from “better” universities so I considered myself lucky.  Besides, I was building an impressive personal library.

Time passed, the orchards disappeared and Silicon Valley emerged.  I figured as long as I was living there I might as well take a job at a high tech company.

I met someone 12 years my junior and we became best friends.  One day he asked me out on a date.  We’ve been together ever since.  Twenty-seven years later we are still not married and we have no children.  That was the only thing I’d planned.  I had decided not to have children in September 1964 – my first day of kindergarten.  Finding a guy that felt the same way was the hard part.

After September 11, my high tech job went away.  I ended up working for a community theater for three years.  Loved it.  And no, not as a performer.

My mother was in the middle stages of dementia when her caregiver, my sister, suddenly died.  It was just after my sister’s 50th birthday.  I moved my mother to New Mexico and found myself spending a lot of time in hospitals.

I was almost 50 and decided that if I was going to be spending that much time in hospitals, I might as well get paid for it.  I took an entry level job in one – working with babies (!) -- and started nursing school.  I’d planned to work with what I thought would be a growing population: Geriatrics.  I do work with the geri population and dementia patients.   But also with adults and children.  I turned out to be a psychiatric nurse.

How did I end up here, you ask?  I’m still trying to figure out how I ended up in Albuquerque.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I've been thinking about this since I first saw the question.

I really had no particular expectations when I was in high school.  

I just let life happen.  It all turned out well.

Honored Contributor

Yeah back in the 80’s I really thought I would end up marrying Rick Springfield, but it never happened! 😀
Esteemed Contributor

I can't recall breakfast let alone HS expectations! 🤣

I do know my 17 yr old self didn't want to get stuck in a rut. Had a friend whose mom gave great counsel back then. She had wanted to be a missionary for her church but instead fell to the pressures to get married so she did. Her consolation was that she loved him but they lived in poverty and unscertainty.

She divorced and married financial security, living the Cul de Sac life and driving a station wagon. She admitted she didn't love him but he gave her stability. She ignored her own heart's calling.

I learned one's heart and mind rarely agree. I find it soul satisfying to follow the heart.