Honored Contributor

Re: Did you ever do the math?

She didn’t come up with the right amount...she took my word for it....good thing I’m honest
Honored Contributor

Re: The best math you can learn is.....

Unfortunately many curricula are tied to technology,,,for example, some info requires students to use the scanner on their smartphone to “read” dates and names for historical events on tests, etc.
Honored Contributor

I am very familiar with dyscalculia as well as dyslexia....one is words, one is numbers...I think the original post was not mocking a person with a real disability....it was just obvious to me this person had no idea what she was doing....
Honored Contributor

I know math was never my strong pint...usually we are better at math or reading,..but not both....one is usually stronger than the other depending on which part of our brain “works” better. One of my DDs can do math in her head that amazes me....another one can barely add single digits using a pencil. Totally depends on a calculator...she is now a physician.....
Honored Contributor

I have learned not to try and show them how to do the math...they are embarrassed. I usually now just say “ I think it may be about $6.....”Usually most are so relieved to get a number rather than having to figure it out on their own, they will go along with what I say. At the grocery store, if I a, overcharged, they won’t even talk about it, they just send you to the service desk...that’s another adventure...
Honored Contributor

I have seen stores but signs up that shows the % off and the sale price....a long list so shoppers don’t have to do any figuring on their own. Sometimes it is helpful though...when they say it’s half off then take an addiitional 20% off....you never know how they will total it up.
Esteemed Contributor

Just last week I was at a local store. The total for my items was $9.45. I gave the cashier $10.45 and he looked at me as if I didn’t know what I was doing. I told him he owed me a dollar but it wasn’t until he played with the cash register that he was convinced.

Honored Contributor

I am the OP, and I didn’t mention the age of the person in my dr’s office who couldn’t figure out 10% of a number....but I think many trace the poor math skills we see even in older people back to school years as kids and were either poorly taught or never really applied themselves. Crappy math skills can be at any age.. it’s very easy for some and incredibly difficult for others...like speaking a foreign language when using numbers. I taught many of them.