Respected Contributor

Re: Did you ever do the math?

@lovesrecess...that’s pretty pathetic. However, I’m not surprised. People too reliant on phones, computers, and calculators. I learned the math the old fashioned way.lll...How do people not even know what 10% of a number is, but yet managed to get a decent job at a doctors office..?🤔
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Many times.

However, I know very, VERY few people who can count back change. The exception are those who are my parents' age (80 plus). I was taught by someone who was in their 60's when I was 17 and it was an eye opener. If you're not taught a skill/basic information, you're not going to know how to do something.

10% off of something, IMHO, is BASIC math. Still, many have a problem with it. Perhaps they never learned the concept behind it and so, can't do it without assistance. Some just can't "grasp" math concepts.  There it is.

I was taught to make change and count it back in the third grade.  I remember because we had a play store with food and a cash register.  I remember playing with it while we temporary lived in a different house while I was in the third grade.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains name calling

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This wasn’t for a copay; it was for a EEG that is scheduled for tomorrow. I don’t think it was brain fog...we all have those...In ust don’t think she had any idea how to figure out 10% of something.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have learned not to give someone a ten dollar bill and a quarter if I owe 5.25....completely throws them off and they get so confused I just tell them “ you owe me a five dollar bill and that’s all” and they usually take my word for it..,good thing I am honest,

Honored Contributor

Re: The best math you can learn is.....

All smartphones have calculators on them; most young people and children who have them and that’s most everyone nowadays, just depend on the calculator function to do math....I taught math and one year the curriculum was totally using the calculator...no paper and pencil at all...thank goodness they don’t do that anymore...but the calculator is till a big part of the curriculum everywhere in secondary....that’s fine if you are taught your basics in elementary.
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

That's inexcusable! A child is able to figure 10% out. Why is someone paying her to work for them? 

Hope you taught her how to do the percentage! Or talked with her employer. That doesn't speak well for their business. 

Inexcusable? What exactly did she do wrong? She came up with the correct amount.  I can't imagine any employer taking a complaint like this seriously.

@mom2four0418 

I know...historically this topic always goes waaaay over the top!

Every.

Single.

Time. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The best math you can learn is.....

@lovesrecess  Personally, I don't believe smartphones should be in any classroom. All students need to utilize their own thinking while in school, listening to lectures, during discussions and taking tests. Phones are too distracting to the user, others and the instructor. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Am not sure who are addressing, but I was in a drs office; not really anyone to complain to as I was on my way out....I did not voice a complaint...it would not change anything; it see,pms to be the norm now, based on the many posts. I was not angry about this person’s incompetence, just sad and disappointed.
Respected Contributor

It's basic math & there's no excuse for not being able to do it in your head.