Honored Contributor

Re: Did you ever do the math?

Well I am 71 and I stink at math. Always did.

Honored Contributor

Math is not my strong suit, but I can figure 10% of something. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Pretty funny considering it was 10%.

Honored Contributor

The best math you can learn is.....

C4DDB5C8-9EB7-42AE-916F-AD353FECC989.jpeg

Respected Contributor

This is today's world.

It always happens when I give a cashier lets say, a twenty dollar bill and then the exact coin amount for something costing $3.25, and they forget to put it in the register correctly and then tell me they can not take the coin because it will not register now and I can not have all dollars back.

Then I say, OK, give me back the change I gave you and give me what it says. She gives me the dollar and change back and I tell her do not close your drawer, I hand her all the coin, what she gave me and what I gave her, which would equal a dollar, and then I watch her as she glares at the coin trying to add it up and then I am told she is not allowed to do that!

Ever wait in line at the bank and hear the teller tell the young adult to sign their name and they say, we do not do script, only print. Printing a name is not a signature.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was17 at my very first waitress job  year 1975....in a tiny cafe called The Coffee Pot, the lady who trained me ( was probably 50 and had worked there forever) taught me to count change back to the customer.  Tills back then were just the old fashioned kind.

THAT WAS THE  BEST THING ANYONE EVER TAUGHT ME!!   Years later even with the newfangled cash registers that do everything....counting back change still came into play,  And those younger people who never learned how to count back change were in a stump  as how to give proper change back when they by mistake, put in the wrong money given by the customer....and so had to figure out the change back.  I taught a few youngsters how to count change back over my working career🙂

Honored Contributor

You don't have to figure up 10 percent of something.  That's not even math.  It's pathetic that people don't know this. People who went to school in this country.  Pathetic. 

Honored Contributor

She was just showing you an example of why the U.S. is ranked 38th in the world in math education (out of 70 countries).

That's just so sad.

I saw a news item several weeks ago where a teacher brought the abacus back to her elementary school classroom.  I thought that was a great idea.

Valued Contributor

23821dc3115a0d0d6623279a6a350983 - Edited.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

That's inexcusable! A child is able to figure 10% out. Why is someone paying her to work for them? 

Hope you taught her how to do the percentage! Or talked with her employer. That doesn't speak well for their business. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.