Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone shop at Whole Foods today?

@september wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

no, the closest one to me is about ten miles away......i prefer to stay around my own general neighborhood when doing my grocery shopping.

Almost every store/type of store is 10+ miles from me (more like 20+ most of the time). If I want a choice at all, of any kind, there is zero in my neighborhood. I don't even have a neighborhood.

Yes...more than 10 miles for me to get to Whole Foods, but most of it is on the freeway.  I drive further than that to get to most other shopping, like Costco, Target, and other stores   Not a big deal, since I often have appointments or business errands to do near those stores.  

For me, mostly Hwy 1 destinations, and traffic-y. My family goes to Gilroy and Morgan Hill to do a lot of their shopping. I stick to Marina, Seaside, Monterey, PG, Watsonville, Capitola except rare trips to Gilroy, MH or San Jose. I'm lazy and don't love driving.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

I was at Whole Foods earlier today, I wasn't "wowed" by their prices. I can get organic produce at Mariano's or Meijer for prices less than what Whole Foods charges for their organic offerings.

I buy a lot of produce at Meijer and most of the time their prices are better and their quality is very good.  I like that they sell a lot of locally grown, too.  Got some great baby spinach there today, along with corn.  I hit Meijer after going to Whole Foods, it's on the way home so it's convenient.

But Whole Foods did have better prices on avocados and organic grapes.  

If I had to drive out of my way and spend a lot of time I would just get everything in one spot, but lucky for me the markets are in an easy loop!

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

We were there today-they have little orange signs comparing the old price to the new price on some items. Most of what we saw averaged around .50-.69 cents lower than the former prices.

Avocadoes were almost $1 less.  Tomatoes were lower.   Some other items that we were not buying but did notice signs.

We didn't get meat and the only dairy was some 1/2-1/2 which was on sale anyway.

Pudding was not marked down.Smiley TongueSmiley LOL

One nice thing was at the check-out you could donate to the Red Cross.Smiley Happy

@Cakers3  Smiley LOL

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

The NYT did a five-item market basket comparison, before and after the change. They shopped organic butter, eggs, and bananas, plus avocados and almond butter crunch (the same brands/lines/varieties each time). There was a 14% drop in the basket total. Hold the ticker tape parade.

Honored Contributor

@septemberIs the east coast one in PA?  My sister's WF is pretty new, huge, outdoor seating, bar, nice bakery, etc.  Plus it has a rewards program.  We both got free bakery items (chose cupcakes--yum!) for our birthdays and a dozen eggs as part of the rewards.  We've seen Q hosts in there sometimes, too!  Past and present.

Honored Contributor

No, never say never but I have no plans to shop there any time soon.  

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@septemberIs the east coast one in PA?  My sister's WF is pretty new, huge, outdoor seating, bar, nice bakery, etc.  Plus it has a rewards program.  We both got free bakery items (chose cupcakes--yum!) for our birthdays and a dozen eggs as part of the rewards.  We've seen Q hosts in there sometimes, too!  Past and present.

@Lucky Charm  No, it's in NH.  So much bigger and better than the older, small one near me!

I think Whole Foods just recently stated a rewards program, but I heard it will be replaced by an Amazon one.  They don't have that in place yet.  

Honored Contributor

Still find their pricing to be not to my liking.......

Esteemed Contributor

I go to Whole Foods twice a month for 5 specific items.  That's it.

The article from a major national news outlet indicated Amazon plans (planned) to lower prices on only some basic items.  So, don't look for prices to drop across the board.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm checking out Amazon right now and I see two items that cost more on Amazon than in the store.

eta:  Seeing more, too.

Whaaa?????

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh