Honored Contributor

Did anyone shop at Whole Foods today?

The prices on many items were supposed to drop down, because of the Amazon buyout.  I'll be there tomorrow, but will buy a prepared food item to take to book group...I don't think the prices are going to drop on those foods.  

I do hope the prices go down on the other things I often buy!

Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone shop at Whole Foods today?

I hope that the prices are better.I love Whole Foods but I don't shop often as they have bern out of my price range.

Respected Contributor

I'm not going to make a special effort to go to Whole Foods right away but I'll try to drop in next time I have time to browse. Meanwhile, keep us updated.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a die-hard Whole Foods shopper..I make  the rounds of many local markets, but may stop in at WF more if they get more competitive. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

The prices on many items were supposed to drop down, because of the Amazon buyout.  I'll be there tomorrow, but will buy a prepared food item to take to book group...I don't think the prices are going to drop on those foods.  

I too usually bought the prepared foods. Several of the prepared foods areas in the larger stores were mini storefronts that were presumably leased space. Not sure where the "food bar" food comes from - local or trucked in.

I'm thinking Amazon will be trying for the same types of foods at a lower profit for the providers, as they go forward. The last time I was actively buying that food, several years ago now, it was $8/lb. I'm sure it must be more now.

They've been saying that several items have had the prices lowered 43% or in that range.

I thought about going, but got up too late. My choices are Monterey or Capitola. I have to think of something else I need to do in one of those places. Some time between now & Labor Day I'm sure I will, just to see what's up.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

They said on the news, organic avocados and hamburger were lower.  Plus Amazon will start selling WF items on its website.

Honored Contributor

There are two Whole Foods within shopping distance for me and a third brand new one really close which hasn't opened yet.  They are always so busy that I end up driving around the parking lot looking for a space to park just so I can spend money!

Trusted Contributor

I was actually in there on Saturday for what else prepared food.  Do I plan on running in there in the future for a gallon of milk, or paper towels?  I highly doubt that's going to happen.  I also highly doubt they will do any much better on the coffee prices, or butter, but we'll see.

Call me if they make it down to at least Trader joe's prices (for those on the west coast).

Honored Contributor

I'm a big Trader Joe's fan, but if I'm picking up a fresh pasta salad, sushi, or baked item to take to a pot luck type gathering, I'll go to Whole Foods.  I know...these aren't the types of things where the prices will drop, but while I'm in there, I'll also pick up eggs, dairy,etc.  I "think" these other basics are where the prices will drop.

We'll see!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@september wrote:

I too usually bought the prepared foods. Several of the prepared foods areas in the larger stores were mini storefronts that were presumably leased space. Not sure where the "food bar" food comes from - local or trucked in.

I'm thinking Amazon will be trying for the same types of foods at a lower profit for the providers, as they go forward. The last time I was actively buying that food, several years ago now, it was $8/lb. I'm sure it must be more now.

They've been saying that several items have had the prices lowered 43% or in that range.

I thought about going, but got up too late. My choices are Monterey or Capitola. I have to think of something else I need to do in one of those places. Some time between now & Labor Day I'm sure I will, just to see what's up.

I go to the Monterey store, as well as one on the East Coast that's close to where many family members live.   This East Coast store is new, huge, and has outdoor patio seating, a wine bar, and more!   Wish that one was the one nearest to me.