Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Eliminate Your *LANDLINE*? Was It a Good Decision or Not?

I used to have two landlines (faxes and dial up internet) and we all had cell phones.  

Almost two years ago, I relocated  and assumed I'd get a landline again.  Just not needed!  Even when I had one, most people I cared to hear from, called me on my cell.  

since I live alone, I did buy a track phone, in case of an emergency when my one cell phone might not be available, in service, etc.   The  track phone costs a fraction of what a landline would cost.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I am in hurricane country, and every time one plows through all my neighbors cell phones are down because they are tied to their cable bundle of cable, phone and internet.  I pull out my "princess phone" and plug it into my landline.  Voila 

Then days later I am not looking for how to recharge my cell phone again, there is no "recharging a landline.  I remember on 911 when all the cell phones were so tied up, my landline was working fine. 

If I need to trim my budget that will be the last thing that gets trimmed.

When I had a landline I had to put the cordless phones in a stand to recharge them.  I had one of those sets that had 4 phones with 4 cradles.  Yes, they had to be put in the cradle when they needed to be charged.  I forget the name of the company of the phones.  I would only buy this brand though.

My cellular service is not tied to any cable company.  Not doing that again, that's what I dropped the land line for.  LOL.  I have no need for a landline now. It's been so long.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Did you eliminate your landline? Was it a good decision or not?

My dh and I each have our cell phones, and Spectrum serves our landline which means in a power outage Spectrum wifi, TV and landline phone numbers don't function, BUT we have a generator so that we can charge our cell phones during a power outage.

Landline cost us almost $20.00 per month, by the way.

I just want to make sure that, heaven forbid, in an emergency I could always call for help.

Leaning toward giving the landline the boot, even though we've had it for decades.

Help me with this decision, PLEASE!

Thank you!

-Solar Smiley Happy

It was a very good decision for me and my household at the time I did it.  It's been years!  I had a bundle of internet/tv/landline.  Dropped landline because no one ever used it much (including me).  At the time it shaved over $60 a month from my bill.

Honored Contributor

We put our phone AND our old phone number on cable 5 years ago when my mom went in a nursing home and we retired--husband was on a critical call list before so we had to have that assurance.

Haven't noticed any change.  Except we got all those car warranty calls, which is not the phone's fault. 

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

We got rid of our landline about 8 years ago ( it was bundled but we ended up saving $50 a month). DH had previously insisted that we keep it for emergency weather( hasn't happened in 14 years) and for the fax ( we sent maybe 8 annually).  If there is no work around, we now fax at UPS store but it isn't usually a big deal.  We now save $600 yrly.

@patbz I have online faxing.  No dial up or nothing.  LOL.  If you need to do this look into Metro Fax or e-faxd and others.  I had a monthly plan that I never used the majority of pages when I had it.  If you can do things from a pc like PDF docs and such you can fax directly from an online fax service.  I set up my docs through my all in one printer.  Keep a copy and attach it and send....

You can do this too even if you don't have the doc on your computer.  An all in one machine will let you scan it in.  If you're happy with what you've got then that's good too.  Just so you know, you have another option!!!!Woman HappyWoman Happy:

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Spectrum package and only pay a small amount. We also have community WiFI so when there is an outage and WiFI isn’t available, I still have a connection via my landline and WiFI works. So I’d not give it up for that reason alone
Respected Contributor

Another reason we havea  landline - we live where cell phone reception is awful! Calls barely come in or go out, so a landline is a must. You cannot carry on a conversation on them.

Like another poster, I never thought I would sleep with it next to me but started doing that recently.  Only because I missed some very important phone calls because people always call my cell phone first even when I tell them to call the house phone. Plus my mom is 87 and I just know my siblings will text me or call my cell instead of the house.  I can't untrain these people.  (sigh)

Trusted Contributor

We still have a land line.  Our cel reception is very spotty where we are, and calls drop constantly.  We like using the land line for important calls, and not worry that the call will drop.  

Respected Contributor

This is a timely question for me! 😁

i decided to get a new cellphone and it came in last Friday.  I went in and everything seemed great (they transferred my info onto new phone, wiped off old). Got home and a message on it said it needed to be activated.  Went back to the store with no luck. Every day except Sunday I went to the phone store to see if they could activate it. Also talked to many of the carrier representatives via phone.  Finally today a carrier representative got my phone activated.    I was sure glad to have a working landline during this time of not having a cellphone for almost a week.  (And I’ve never worked so hard to get a new cellphone!)

Respected Contributor

I still have my landline, had it transfered to my apartment when I sold my house. I have had a landlind since my childhood days, still remember my grandparents phone number from the old phones back in the day. It just feels right to keep it for some reason, I do have my cell phone also. I say do what's best for you