Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,529
Registered: ‎06-25-2012

Detroit peaked the other day but had a one day resurgence yesterday. The county where I live in the upper lower peninsula we are holding at 11 cases with one fatality. I know the fatality too. Sad

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,227
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

GREAT!!  Please let the numbers continue to decrease- 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,739
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

It is a pity  @ID2  I am so sorry . We have friends who have lost someone to this too( 3 members of their family) and they can't even bury them..but we must look ahead and remember happier days are coming

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,293
Registered: ‎05-09-2016

Re: Detroit has peaked

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@cherry   What about the other cities in the state?


90% of the cases in Michigan are concentrated in 3 counties that comprise the metro Detroit area. Lots of reasons for this - a large international airport and business community, population density, socio-economic and a few others. 

 

I live in southwestern Michigan. In my county (population of roughly 267,000) we've had less than 100 cases and just 8 deaths. The people who've died were all over 70, with the median age being 84. All had underlying health conditions. That doesn't make it any less tragic for their loved ones, but is simply an indication that those poor folks had several strikes against them to begin with.

 

My BIL is a med tech at our large hospital system. He's consistently being sent home from work early because of a lack of work. The hospital is virtually empty except for the handful of virus patients that are being treated. 

 

The stay at home order in Michigan is draconian - goes way beyond what is necessary - and people are rebeling. That's all I can say about that on this forum without being poofed (that's a hint, people - don't try baiting me in to an argument). 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,399
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I am glad to see the Governor of Michigan extend the stay at home order and make it more strict. The protests yesterday were infuriating. Crowds standing outside the Capitol without masks in close proximity, clogging up traffic. Events like these cause outbreaks.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,100
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@cherry   What about the other cities in the state?


90% of the cases in Michigan are concentrated in 3 counties that comprise the metro Detroit area. Lots of reasons for this - a large international airport and business community, population density, socio-economic and a few others. 

 

I live in southwestern Michigan. In my county (population of roughly 267,000) we've had less than 100 cases and just 8 deaths. The people who've died were all over 70, with the median age being 84. All had underlying health conditions. That doesn't make it any less tragic for their loved ones, but is simply an indication that those poor folks had several strikes against them to begin with.

 

My BIL is a med tech at our large hospital system. He's consistently being sent home from work early because of a lack of work. The hospital is virtually empty except for the handful of virus patients that are being treated. 

 

The stay at home order in Michigan is draconian - goes way beyond what is necessary - and people are rebeling. That's all I can say about that on this forum without being poofed (that's a hint, people - don't try baiting me in to an argument). 


I don't know much about the shutdown in MI, but I think empty is the way they are trying to keep hospitals.  This is so that they can care for people if they start getting cases.  I say this because my brother's daughter had surgery in mid March.  The hospital was virtually empty.  Everything elective had been cancelled.  He wasn't allowed to wait at the hospital while she was in surgery.  He was told to either sit in the car or go home and they would call him.  His daughter was only kept in the hospital overnight because they wanted her out.  This was in Huntsville, AL, which is no hotspot.  

 

The good news part of this is if anyone in your area gets it, they will be able to get care.  In NY, I saw a video where they are all just lined up in a big room or hallway with ventilators.  If they improve with a ventilator, great.  If not, they code and are gone.  No intervening treatment.  This was only a short video so maybe they are doing much more than this, but I'm not sure they have the time to do a lot of evaluation.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,293
Registered: ‎05-09-2016

Re: Detroit has peaked

[ Edited ]

@Tadaki wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@cherry   What about the other cities in the state?


90% of the cases in Michigan are concentrated in 3 counties that comprise the metro Detroit area. Lots of reasons for this - a large international airport and business community, population density, socio-economic and a few others. 

 

I live in southwestern Michigan. In my county (population of roughly 267,000) we've had less than 100 cases and just 8 deaths. The people who've died were all over 70, with the median age being 84. All had underlying health conditions. That doesn't make it any less tragic for their loved ones, but is simply an indication that those poor folks had several strikes against them to begin with.

 

My BIL is a med tech at our large hospital system. He's consistently being sent home from work early because of a lack of work. The hospital is virtually empty except for the handful of virus patients that are being treated. 

 

The stay at home order in Michigan is draconian - goes way beyond what is necessary - and people are rebeling. That's all I can say about that on this forum without being poofed (that's a hint, people - don't try baiting me in to an argument). 


I don't know much about the shutdown in MI, but I think empty is the way they are trying to keep hospitals.  This is so that they can care for people if they start getting cases.  I say this because my brother's daughter had surgery in mid March.  The hospital was virtually empty.  Everything elective had been cancelled.  He wasn't allowed to wait at the hospital while she was in surgery.  He was told to either sit in the car or go home and they would call him.  His daughter was only kept in the hospital overnight because they wanted her out.  This was in Huntsville, AL, which is no hotspot.  

 

The good news part of this is if anyone in your area gets it, they will be able to get care.  In NY, I saw a video where they are all just lined up in a big room or hallway with ventilators.  If they improve with a ventilator, great.  If not, they code and are gone.  No intervening treatment.  This was only a short video so maybe they are doing much more than this, but I'm not sure they have the time to do a lot of evaluation.  


Of course that's the reason. But in my area, that hasn't happened. They cleared the hospitals out a month ago in anticipation of an influx of new cases and it just hasn't happened. The four hospitals that comprise our system cover 3 counties and have a TOTAL of 35 patients currently hospitalized with the virus. There have been 24 recoveries/discharges and a total of 9 deaths across the system. Detroit is NOT representative of the entire state. It's only representative of Detroit. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,060
Registered: ‎12-05-2012

@JJsMom wrote:

I am glad to see the Governor of Michigan extend the stay at home order and make it more strict. The protests yesterday were infuriating. Crowds standing outside the Capitol without masks in close proximity, clogging up traffic. Events like these cause outbreaks.


Me too. The Governor has it right. I live in the Detoit area. It is a nightmare.

Yesterday they started testing nusing home residents in Detroit. 35% positive in those they tested.

 

We have friends/relatives who are Downtown Detroit 911 dispatchers and firefighters. They said they are called to homes where someone appeared to be recovering and then turn worse rapidly. A fair number die before they can respond to the call. Several a shift. One was 29 years old and they arrived within 4 minutes and could not revive him.  

 

We would like to go up north to a cottage too but as with many up north getaways you can be 1-2 hours away from a hospital and those that are up north are not equipped or staffed for an influx of Covid-19 cases so the idea is to prevent that from happening.

 

We had snow yesterday and are suppose to have more tomorrow. Fortunately the grass is not growing yet. Will be a while here until we need mowing. Our lawn care company is biding by the Governors ruling too.I am glad.

We can live with the strict guidelines.Most everyone near us is happyto as well. We get the seriousness of the situation.  Be smart, stay safe.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,739
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Detroit has peaked

[ Edited ]

@wonderfulworld  My bil has a lawn care business and he hasn't done any yet either. I  hope soon  people working outside ,and those not in direct contact with others will be able to resume work

 

 

 

I worried about civil unrest, I am glad that it isn't being put to the test

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,061
Registered: ‎06-07-2010

@cherry wrote:

We are in lockdown until May 1 ,unless the Governor says differently


@cherry   Us, too, in Ohio.