Honored Contributor

Had an appointment for my quarterly teeth cleaning this AM.  The hygienist called to cancel.  They had notice from the FDA to cancel all elective appointments, something to do with the spray from the ultrasonic machines.

What really concerns me is when they keep saying that things will be getting worse before they get better.

Esteemed Contributor

I cancelled a follow-up appointment with my eye surgeon last Friday.  His office's waiting room is always too crowded - not enough chairs for all the waiting patients, so about 1/3 of patients stand up between rows of chairs and along the walls.   Didn't seem like an environment I wanted to put myself into.  Ha!   

Every appointment I had, plus every committee and association I belong to, have cancelled all meetings and events indefinitely.  My calendar is empty!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I think many will close for a couple of weeks.   My daughter is a dental assistant in Massachusetts and she stated this morning that they've had many cancellations and are only getting emergency calls this morning.     It really is a difficult time for all who are working.   Worried for people, hoping they are able to collect unemployment easily if they temporarily lose their job/hours.  My husband and I are retired so we're okay.   Still hard though as my adult kids look to us for comfort and we're doing our best to remain optimistic.

Honored Contributor

so what if someone has a tooth emergency? Will people just have to suffer?

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Most dental offices will have a contact number to reach the doctor or assistant if they are having a problem.    Many times the doctor will go in to take care of that particular patient.   Just too costly to be open and paying employees if there is no revenue coming in.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette 

I have one tomorrow to be fitted for my night guard.  I was there three weeks ago to have the mould made. They called today to see if I could to a bit earlier tomorrow, which of course was fine.  I told them since I am off, to call me back if they need to fill a time and I'll go. She said they were good for today.  

Respected Contributor

My dentist put an email out last week saying they are open and have taken extra cleaning precautions.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if so many people cancel they will just close and the dentist will be on call.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be going to any appointment that involved anything to do with my head...dentist, eye doctor, hair cut, hearing...

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I wouldn't be going to any appointment that involved anything to do with my head...dentist, eye doctor, hair cut, hearing...

@CelticCrafter   I will be going to a cancer center hospital tomorrow for the second half of a procedure to remove a large basal cell carcinoma.  It's a skin graft on my nose and must be done.  Believe me, I wish I didn't have to do this.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   So sorry to hear you have to go through that.  Will be thinking of you.