Esteemed Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Dell1 wrote:

@corita wrote:

It is NOT his decision to make regarding name change!  I believe that the people living in that state should vote on the name change. If they vote for the change so be it....he is not a king!!!

corita, Read my post #14,  The state of Alaska has been asking for the name change back to 1975, 40 years ago.

----------------------------------------

Dell -- Thanks, I did and have been hearing all about it in the news.  I still think it is NOT his decisoin. A vote by the people living in Alaska would be the most equitable and honorable way to handle it. That would stilll answer the Alaskans' request and maybe, cool the Ohioans' anger.

LOL. Whatever. Why don't the Ohioans name one of their own peaks after McKinley. His only claim to fame is being assassinated 6 months into his term. If they care that much about him, why not honor him in his home state?

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Dell1 wrote:

@corita wrote:

It is NOT his decision to make regarding name change!  I believe that the people living in that state should vote on the name change. If they vote for the change so be it....he is not a king!!!

corita, Read my post #14,  The state of Alaska has been asking for the name change back to 1975, 40 years ago.

Dell -- Thanks, I did and have been hearing all about it in the news.  I still think it is NOT his decisoin. A vote by the people living in Alaska would be the most equitable and honorable way to handle it. That would stilll answer the Alaskans' request and maybe, cool the Ohioans' anger.

The people of Alaska made the decision YEARS AGO and have kept asking for the change back to "Denali".

WHY are you trying to make this political when it is not?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Several political posts on this thread are being allowed to stand for some reason.  

Respected Contributor

Stop whinin'!  It's a beautiful mountain..... It's a nice name.....native Alaskans want it...... The mountain's gonna be there long after us 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have taken a small airplane ride around Mt. McKinley, and yes it is beautiful.  I have relatives that live in Anchorage.  Not sure what compelled the President to make the name change.  But then again, he does whatever he wants to.

The President is going to Alaska to discuss the relocation of some native villages that are being moved due rising water caused by fast ice melt.  i guess he's killing 2 birds with one stone.  I think Alaskans have asked for this for a long time but I heard a bunch of people in the lower 48 were raising a fuss about it.  Maybe McKinley's relatives?

i was on an Alaskan AL plane going from Juneau to Fairbanks on a crystal clear day, unusual because the mountain creates its own weather.  The pilot of this big airliner did a figure 8, over the mountain.  We were very, very low.  What a thrill that was!  Even the flight attendants were agog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Dell1 wrote:

@corita wrote:

@corita  It wasn't his decision.  It was by order of the Secretary of the Interior!  You may have read post #14, but you didn't comprehend.

Honored Contributor

Here's a link to an "almost" live cam of Denali sponsored by the company that takes the mountain climbers to the base camp.  I check it every single day.  I have a strong affinity for mountains and love this one.

http://www.talkeetnaair.com/web-cam

Honored Contributor

There has got to be more important issues than the name of a mountain. What about the cost of changing maps, brochures,  and who knows what else? I like that it honors a president. 

Respected Contributor

It's GREAT!   This is what Alaskans have wanted.  The park was changed to Denali National Park in 1980.  I think we can handle it.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

. Why don't the Ohioans name one of their own peaks after McKinley. 

If you can find a mountain peak in Ohio, please let them know so they can name it after McKinley!