Honored Contributor

Just read that the President is officially changing the name of Mt. McKinley in Alaska back to its original name, Denali, The Great One.  At 20,320ft., it's the highest mountain in North America.

Seeing this mountain in person takes your breath away.  It's so majestic.  Ever since I first saw it, I thought it was deserving of its Indian name.

image.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I lived in Alaska and have been to Denali many times. Some of my family members go to Alaska every few years. We visit the grave of our sister who died there and is in a cemetery in Fairbanks. Although that part of the trip is always sad, we love being in Alaska. There are people who refer to Denali as Mt. McKinley but it's not meant as an offence.

Esteemed Contributor
I'm happy to see the change back to Denali.
Respected Contributor

As an Alaskan I have always said Denali.  So glad the rest of you have joined us.

Honored Contributor

I always referred to it as Denali.

Respected Contributor

I love the name change.

Esteemed Contributor

It's a good thing!

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

What a lovely thing!

I know locals always referred to the mt. as Denali, but I like that the "official" name has returned. 

I must admit when I read the headline about the change I was afraid it might end up being mt. Kardashian or worse.

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

What a lovely thing!

I know locals always referred to the mt. as Denali, but I like that the "official" name has returned. 

I must admit when I read the headline about the change I was afraid it might end up being mt. Kardashian or worse.

we have a closed covered over landfill near here, we call it Mt. Trashmore, maybe Mt. Kartrashion would be better.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Yes, Denali, the Great One. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~