Honored Contributor

I'm not requesting a national vote, I think the mountain should continue as it is. It's a foolish waste of tax dollars to change textbooks nationwide when school districts are forced to make cuts. 

If Alaskans want to call Mt McKinley Denali among themselves, as they already do, fine, but why should those who make maps and brochures  be burdened with the cost of making new ones with the name change?

Where are all the now obsolete publications and textbooks going to go? Landfills

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm not requesting a national vote, I think the mountain should continue as it is. It's a foolish waste of tax dollars to change textbooks nationwide when school districts are forced to make cuts. 

If Alaskans want to call Mt McKinley Denali among themselves, as they already do, fine, but why should those who make maps and brochures  be burdened with the cost of making new ones with the name change?

Where are all the now obsolete publications and textbooks going to go? Landfills

Where?  No, not landfills, paper recycling.  Doesn't your community participate?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Changes will be made as new books and documents are printed.  Change is not an emergency.  The map of Alaska is changing rapidly due to melting ice. So it shouldn't take long.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain

Hi!  I know in my state when a park name changes, or a street, etc they wait until the next publication is ready to change information.  I am sure they would change Mt McKinley signs, park labeling, in a timely manner, but wait for text books and such. >  I would hope so!  I know there are areas in our county, new tracks of homes and businesses, that you can't find on a navigator or a map for a while.  When they have updates, and the projects are finished they publish them'

When you think about it, they can't even update maps fast enough or road signs with the growth out here!  (California)

Esteemed Contributor

Denali is a beautiful name as are many of the names that come from indigenous Native tribes in our country. My state has the Stillaguamish River. I love the sound of that and the way it flows off the tongue. I just think that this has become yet another ado about nothing that has occurred because of political biases and jealousies.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain @NoelSeven

Does anyone still use a paper map to navigate?

They can call that 'giant landfill mound' Mt. McKinley!

Valued Contributor

Locking this thread. Too many unkind comments and political comments. 

Brittany