Respected Contributor

I would never go to this wedding. Covid stays in the air, people will be dancing breathing hard. I guess it is the RN in me that says "no". In my opinion this wedding is risky. Right, now, not counting patients, I know of 20 people who have Covid right now. Some friends, coworkers and extended family. 

Valued Contributor

Honestly, I think it's ridiculous and irresponsible to have a wedding with more than a few guests at this time.   Yes it would be disappointing to delay it, but common sense has to be used.  None of us can (or at least should) be at gatherings right now, and everyone knows why.  

I would actually be more annoyed at them putting me in the position of having to turn down the invitation and having to explain why.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declining a wedding

[ Edited ]

@happycat : I had 2 weddings this fall- both large gatherings.. First one was for my niece. Only family members in attendance (not including Bride's immediate family) were DS, his fiancee & myself. We were miserable. Declined the wedding of a friend 2 weeks later. Wasn't going to do that again for anyone. After the first wedding no regrets except having to call the bride and explain why I could no longer attend as I had RSVP'd that I would go originally. Declined with ample time for bride to cancel my meal.

Anyone having a big, traditional wedding at this time must accept that probably at least 50% of invited guests will decline. 

Do not second guess your choice. It is the right one. I suggest you send a check to the couple and lose any guilt you might have.

Respected Contributor

@happycat   Don't feel badly about not attending your nephew's wedding.  

My son was originally supposed to be married last May here in DC followed by a big, formal evening reception.  Then it was rescheduled for August.  Again had to change to date uncertain.

So, they decided to get married in their condo on Zoom by a justice of the peace.

When the covid-19 crisis is over they will have their reception as originally planned and with some sort of renewal of vows.

I believe they did the correct thing and although they were disappointed they didn't want the large number of their friends and family members to risk becoming ill.

So my outfit and shoes and evening bag are ready and waiting in my closet.  

Dear son and his wife are good sports about it.  Said all the delays are giving them a chance to lose some of the pandemic pounds they've put on so that he will fit in his tux and she can wear her gown; they are fortunate enough to have been able to work at home all this time and can continue to pay the mortgage on their condo so they know how fortunate they are to still have their incomes and good health.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 : Congrats and blessings to the newlyweds- and you!

DS lives outside D.C. He became engaged at the beginning of the pandemic mid-March. No plans to even think about the kind of wedding they want until this virus runs it's course. Among other things they do not want to place a deposit on a reception venue only to have it go out of business as sadly many have.

Esteemed Contributor

I heard of a wedding I think in Maine, a lot of people went now lots are sick with Covid. The bad part of this are the 7 that are sick that weren't even at the wedding. So it's not just you it's who will get it after that wasn't even there. I'm sure you can google this story. Stay home and stay alive and  spare someone who didn't go either. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Some people still don't get it, or don't want to.

Some can't see beyond their own hedonistic desires. Some are selfish. Some think the world revolves around them. Normal is taking longer because some have their heads in the sand, or somewhere else.

Rather than someone being upset with you, I would be upset that anyone would want to put a large group of people into a very compromising condition.

Never feel guilty about a decision you made for your safety and peace of mind. 

@Etoile308  .... I agree with you 100% .... the people having these weddings/parties are downright STUPID & SELFISH ... they are the reason that this virus will never end & people will keep getting sick & die .... THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!! ... WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM!!! 

Respected Contributor

@queendiva  Thank you for the bllessings. Son and daughter-in-law rescheduled the first time and so didn't lose their deposit.  They cancelled the second date in time not to lose money again.

I hope the Anderson House will still be in operation when the coast clears.  The pictures I saw at the website were stunning.

Blessings to you and your son aand his fiancee on their engagement.  We both have some happy events to look forward to.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Re: Declining a wedding

[ Edited ]

Ok, I'm in a blunt mood tonight and haven't read the other responses yet.

I think it is unconscionable that they are holding a potential super spreader event in the middle of a raging pandemic.  I have massive amounts of disdain for that.  Zero respect.   None.

I would have absolutely no guilt at all in saying he.. to the no, I'm not going.  Easiest decision I'd make all year.  

ICU's at or near capacity, overworked medical personnel, but hey none of that matters.  The wedding does.  I could go further, but I'll stop.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@happycat This must be so difficult for you. Yes, I've had to make decisions like this and so,have most of the people I know. 

I feel quite sure you made the best decision for yourself--no need to doubt yourslf. I'm not saying others are wrong to go, but I agree with you that if they are having a large wedding right now, they definitely aren't taking covid seriously. It will be no surprise if people get sick--more of a surprise if they don't. 

Doing what hat is right for you is the best choice you can make!

I feel terrible honeslty. The nephew is family, he is a good kid. I don't understand why they couldn't have gone to a justice of the peace, then had a nice wedding after covid isn't so rampant. We may never totally get rid of it, I guess. 

@happycat To be very honest, with a crowd that big, I doubt if anyone will be upset or hurt that you aren't there on the day.  It's all about them.

Like others said, if they are upset, that's their problem and not yours.  I don't see that anyone is really obligated to go to a wedding except the immediate family.  Don't worry about it.