Contributor
I don't know if the show hosts have to make a quota on every item they sell. I feel that deceptive tactics are put out there but not all the time. Something soft when it is not or QVC is the only place you can get an item that the show host is presenting when you can find it else where and cheaper

Just an opinion.
Respected Contributor

?????

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Deceptive tactics

[ Edited ]

@millies daughter 

I know that if a channel constantly upset me, I wouldn't watch it.

But that's just me.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I do think there are deceptive practices used when they are selling the items ... I used to believe them but, no more .... I’ve learned my lesson the hard way!!!! 👎👎

Honored Contributor

Re: Deceptive tactics

[ Edited ]

Well....QVC isn't going to tell buyers they can buy something elsewhere even if it is available elsewhere.  What retailer would?   Only mention of "elsewhere" I ever heard is when QVC has the lowest price.

I do think some of the sales tactics are deceptive.  An example is selling something they know has a lot of low ratings, but telling customers how great it is.  

I think they tell us only what will sell the item, omitting the negatives that they know customers won't buy.  

An example of that was with Delonghi's portable AC.  A main selling point was that there wasn't a pan of water to be emptied, but no mention of the drain in the back where up to 2-3 cups of water collected.  When that was full, the AC stopped working and wouldn't start again until it was emptied.  Wow, can't tell you how much that infuriated me when the AC stopped working and I found out.  

I don't think most customers realize they are being manipulated into buying.  The use of sales tactics is a very powerful selling tool and all sales people use them.  

Hosts make everything they sell appear as a "must have," we can't live without it.  Some people buy into it without knowing they have been had.  

No doubt everything home shopping does is a lot of sales tactics.  The hosts, their demeanor, the sets, music used, their little ads in between presentations, graphics, the comfy, cozy, friendly, happy image projected into our homes.  It's feel good programming...definitely a sales tactic.  

I don't know if hosts have a quota, many sales people do, but definitely QVC keeps track of how much each sells. Those that don't sell as much as others will eventually be the first to go, but I do think QVC gives most ample time to improve. 

Esteemed Contributor
Your opinion is quite valid, and you don't seem upset at all. Some posters resent and challenge any negative views of their beloved QVC.

And yes, I do believe that both hosts and guests engage in deceptive tactics on occasion, for whatever reasons.
Honored Contributor

@millies daughter wrote:
I don't know if the show hosts have to make a quota on every item they sell. I feel that deceptive tactics are put out there but not all the time. Something soft when it is not or QVC is the only place you can get an item that the show host is presenting when you can find it else where and cheaper

Just an opinion.

@millies daughter 

They are there to SELL ... that's their job.   if you've ever had to do lengthy sales presentations or give lectures for an hour or two, you'd realize that it's not an easy job.   

In some cases, they are flying by the seat of their pants.   Someone who prepares the information might have assumed something, and the host didn't have any idea.  I don't think they are deliberately trying to deceive .... but you are expected to consider the information ... and a little common sense goes a long way.  If you think they are trying to "trick' you into buying something, well, maybe shopping channels aren't for you.

Honored Contributor

it is our money and up to us to spend it and not let someone separate it from us.

as for that AC unit,   I think I did hear mention of water that had to be drained during a presentation. 

Honored Contributor

It's probably premature to go robotic, but they certainly could  go to animation, and eliminate ALL the humans!     The presentations would be highly technical,  leaving no room for customer "complaints".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@millies daughter "Deceptive tactics" is a legal term.  Be careful how you throw that around.

Haven't you ever heard of the term "sales pitch"?  That's what you're hearing.  The people in front of the camera labeled as "Show Hosts", or "Program Hosts" are salesmen, nothing more and nothing less.  If their pitch annoys you, use your fingers on your remote.