Honored Contributor

I agree that there seems to be an uptick in hosts glamorizing the positives, and  either totally eliminating the more challenging features, or leaving them out completely.  But that's why the consumer must do their own shopping research and stop impulse buying. These hosts have a job to do.  Sell.  Period. If they can leave out the negatives they certainly will.

The hosts tell you the number sold in breathless wonder every minute.  They gasp in total bewilderment at the crazy low price for something that actually still gives QVC a huge markup.  We are not supposed to think for ourselves!

A tall, all leather boot was presented for nearly half off this week.  In the last 5 seconds of the presentation, the vendor (not the host, mind you) rushed the statement that if you plan on wearing socks, you may want to get it in Wide, or go up a size.  When you look at the reviews, nearly all poor, they clearly state how uncomfortable the boot is because it runs very narrow.  Deceptive or Sales?

Valued Contributor
They are there to sell, not lie!
Honored Contributor

If you've shopped anywhere, you know salespeople will use various sales tactics and gimmicks. They are salespeople, not your friends or buddies. It's what they do.  It doesn't mean anything is illegal.  Deceptive might be too strong of a word to use. 

Consumers also have responsiblities.  Consumers need to know what they are paying and buying before they buy it.  Businesses have to provide the information but they don't have to spoonfeed it to anyone.  

Honored Contributor

IMO, I think a lot of posters in these forums need to find something else to watch or do outside of QVC.

Some posts are absurd and are multiplying in numbers.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

QVC is a sales channel. The hosts are salespeople. Real Simple. They aren't there to use deceptive tactics to get you to buy something - they are there strictly to sell.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

It's probably premature to go robotic, but they certainly could  go to animation, and eliminate ALL the humans!     The presentations would be highly technical,  leaving no room for customer "complaints".

@Desertdi,  would you like to make a healthy bet on that?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

One time Antonella was presenting a tennis bracelet that apparently didn't have a lot of weight to it.  She pointed out that she felt it might flip back and forth on the arm.  Honestly like that is probably what got her off of QVC.

Esteemed Contributor

@millies daughter wrote:
I don't know if the show hosts have to make a quota on every item they sell. I feel that deceptive tactics are put out there but not all the time. Something soft when it is not or QVC is the only place you can get an item that the show host is presenting when you can find it else where and cheaper

Just an opinion.

@millies daughter   When I watch, I try to use my common sense as to what they are saying.  I agree w/you that some of the sales pitches are just that and a lot of times I find myself saying "yeah, right".  There are a few of the hosts I will partly believe, but most of them are just sales people who embellish.  And.......you have a right to your opinion!

Honored Contributor

There is a difference between actual 'deception' and omitting what to some may be negatives.

Is any retailer going to state in its product description you need to size up if you're wearing socks with these shoes or this a/c unit will stop working when it needs water accumulation emptied?  

You might find that in the product reviews or manual, but I highly doubt the seller would mention them.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

it is our money and up to us to spend it and not let someone separate it from us.

as for that AC unit,   I think I did hear mention of water that had to be drained during a presentation. 

I also heard that during the presentation.

No one manipulates me into buying anything. 

QVC has a legal dept. that monitors what is sold, said etc.

Has there ever been a Class Action Lawsuit against QVC for deceptive practices?

Not everything I have ordered is what I expected or thought it would be.  However, I have 30 days to return and can contact the Moderators if I felt a description is inaccurate.