Respected Contributor

Maybe the store has something like apple pay where you just swipe your phone across?

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Re: Debit card compromised

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Well, that's a mystery.  How could someone buy something IN the store without having your debit card?  That's not how skimming works.  That's not how hacking works and something like that would not in any way involve the chip on your card.  Even if I had someones cc or debit card number, I can't walk up to the store and buy something by reciting the number.  I can't take out money that way. Skimming is when they capture your card numbers and buy stuff online, they don't have to have the actual card.  

@chrystaltree

many merchants incorrectly store PIN information they should be destroying after customers enter the secret code on PIN pads in stores around the country. While the information is often encrypted into something called a PIN block, the keys necessary to decrypt the information are often stored on the same network, she said. That makes stealing the PINs as easy as breaking into an office computer using a password a careless employee has taped to the screen.

"Once the thieves have a cardholder's PIN, they have enough data to create and use counterfeit cards to withdraw cash at ATM machines," Litan said. In her report, she says careless PIN storage by retailers is to blame for the recent spate of ATM fraud, including Citibank's troubles.

This information you have provided is from MSNBC from 3/2006.  I find it astounding that so many years later your grocery store is having this issue where someone was able to use a dummy white card and not only make a purchase but pull out cash.  I would never and I mean never shop there ever again.  

I have an aversion to credit cards....always have and always will.  I do use my debit card at the grocery store but nowhere else.  I have never been "hacked" thankfully.  My bank is not the same as yours and is out of the way for me to keep making trips inside to pull out cash for my groceries which is why I have been using my debit card for many years.  I use a credit card for gas fillups and unexpected things otherwise I pay with cash.

added the link

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/11731365/ns/technology_and_science-security/t/debit-card-thieves-get-aroun...

Respected Contributor

I see zero benefit to having a debit card. 

If you want to take cash out of an ATM, get an ATM card only 

Use a cc to make purchases. Money isn’t immediately sucked out of your account and we get perks on every purchase.  Free money. No brainer

Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Use a cc to make purchases. Money isn’t immediately sucked out of your account and we get perks on every purchase.  Free money. No brainer

Agree 100%

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@scatcat    This is what we are going to start doing.  Using our credit card like we used our debit and just pay it off as we always do at the end of the month.  I also will get points adding up to free money back.  No access to our accounts.  Thanks for sharing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

I don't care what the chip manufacturers say about  its protection, I still keep my chipped cc in a RFID protection case and/or pocketbook as well as all my other cards w/my personal info encoded.

Knock on wood, I have never been a "victim."

@Mz iMac

Me too..........RFID protective case all the way.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden

So the only time the card is used is at the Bank for cash, yes?

Is through an outside ATM...or inside?

@sidsmom   My husband may  occasionally take a withdrawal from the outside ATM  at our bank of America by our home.   He has not been doing that  now that he is retired and does not need money for gas anymore to get to work. 

I know that any ATM can be fooled with and skimmers attached. Even on a Banks ATM.  

@SeaMaiden

These crooks are getting bolder and bolder.....There was even a skimmer found inserted at one of the branch ATMS located right outside the bank...........I am glad I never use that ATM...............

Thankfully they came out with new technology to combat the skimmers..............

Also I only use my debit card at our grocery store chain here--HEB, it has a NO PIN option that I use.....The rest of the time I use cash or a credit card for purchases at other places.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 wrote:

I never thought of going into the actual store when this sort of thing happens- I just call the credit card and report it to them. In fact, I have so many security alerts on my cards the banking institution usually catches it before I do!!

@Ibby114 

Credit cards operate differently than Bank cards....if your debit card is compromised the Bank makes you go to the bank to sign papers, you cant do it over the phone like you can with credit cards.....

@shoesnbags

A friend and I had a problem at a restaurant, someone there is a crook and copied our card numbers and used it to make online purchases...We both notified the restaurant and vowed never to return there again!

.My friend used her debit card and they made her come to the bank before her money could be returned that was charged fraudently , mine was a credit card and I got an alert and all I had to do was call to report it. 

With a credit card your money is immediately put back on your account, they close the account and send you a new card, but the bank takes a little longer to return money to you.........

Valued Contributor

Yes!  Credit cards carry stronger protections than debit cards do.  I only use my debit card at the BoA machine inside my secured workplace campus.

Respected Contributor

I rarely use my chipped debot card for purchases and never get cash back.  In the past year have used just credit cards.

Once inserted, my bank keeps the card inside the ATM and keeps it until the transaction is processed. maybe it checks for tampering