Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm confused how someone went into an actual grocery store and used your card numbers without actually having your card?  I can understand the numbers being skimmed and on-line purchases being made, but I've never been able to just type in numbers from a card at the grocery store.  I have to have the card on me to use it. 

They are able somehow to transfer the info onto another card... or a dummy card. Probably why they used self checkout.  

@SeaMaiden, so they made another card?

I'm not a criminal so I don't think of these things.  LOL

Sorry this happened.  It stinks.  It's happened to me before but the numbers were used for on-line shopping.  My bank was excellant about it but it's still a major hassle.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

I have my debit card through BofA and use their Text features to get a daily message about my account balance. It also allows me to text at any time and get a real-time update on my balance and the last 5 transactions. 

It helps keep me posted so I always know if something is wrong and don't have to wait for a monthly statement or go searching for the information.

@Alison Wonderland  Thanks for the info!

While that seems like a good idea, I would be leery about having bank information texted to me. That seems like just another way for personal information to be intercepted.

I would never even go to my bank's app and log in to my account from anywhere but a secure wi-fi location.  I'm very careful about the sites I go to if I'm in a mobile hotspot.    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm confused how someone went into an actual grocery store and used your card numbers without actually having your card?  I can understand the numbers being skimmed and on-line purchases being made, but I've never been able to just type in numbers from a card at the grocery store.  I have to have the card on me to use it. 

They are able somehow to transfer the info onto another card... or a dummy card. Probably why they used self checkout.  

Sorry this happened.  It stinks.  It's happened to me before but the numbers were used for on-line shopping.  My bank was excellant about it but it's still a major hassle.

LOL i am not a criminal either, but they have been doing it this way for many years. with all of the alerts and online access though, people can catch it much more quickly than waiting for a bill to arrive.  people get stolen drivers licenses that way also.....ever wonder how so many underage kids can get into bars and clubs?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I never use my Debit Card.  It sits in my house until I need to take out cash from an ATM which is like once every 6 months.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

I had a similar experience at my (former) credit union.  Unfortunately, the money came out of my checking account and claimed to be an Amazon charge.  According to Amazon, it wasn't.  According to the credit union, Amazon was responsible and should reimburse me.  It took over an hour to close my account and I'm out the money.

It seems the rules for credit unions is not the same as credit cards and banks.  Credit unions do not protect their customers, or, at least, this one decided not to.  I had a savings account, a checking account and a debit card and I'll never use them again.  

My BAC experience was similar and BAC handled it very well.  

Beware credit unions.  
Their staff leaves much to be desired at every level.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   This is all new to me as well....  It is very upsetting. Yesterday I felt odd all day and weirdly less safe.... just a feeling I had going through the hassel of talking to everyone and getting everything taken care of.  I feel fortunate to have not had issues with thieves at all all up to this point.   A wake up call  to really be more aware and on top of things  the best I can be. 

Trusted Contributor

My card information was stolen from a Red Box. By that evening they had charged 2000 dollars at Sam's club  through the self serve line.  I called the store and talked to the security  officer and asked him why the lady up front  didn't notice the same people coming in time after time. da.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

So the only time the card is used is at the Bank for cash, yes?

Is through an outside ATM...or inside?

Honored Contributor

@excpa wrote:

I had a similar experience at my (former) credit union.  Unfortunately, the money came out of my checking account and claimed to be an Amazon charge.  According to Amazon, it wasn't.  According to the credit union, Amazon was responsible and should reimburse me.  It took over an hour to close my account and I'm out the money.

It seems the rules for credit unions is not the same as credit cards and banks.  Credit unions do not protect their customers, or, at least, this one decided not to.  I had a savings account, a checking account and a debit card and I'll never use them again.  

My BAC experience was similar and BAC handled it very well.  

Beware credit unions.  
Their staff leaves much to be desired at every level.

@excpa  Thanks for sharing this info.  It is really best to always ask to see the bank or credit unions policies for debit cards... they really do differ bank to bank and  the rules can change at a moments notice.  I just read this recently. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

As far as a debit card ...my financial advisor told me many years ago to only use it to take out cash from the bank. I have never bought anything with it because it would give thieves access to my other accounts.

----------------

I was told the same thing by a banking person!!!